This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Conn College students work hard, but the administration and facilities teams work harder. Here are some of the changes we’ve noticed so far on campus since our return:

Since my first semester at Conn in Fall 2019, a lot has changed on this campus! Many of us may remember when Harris used to have booths to sit in at the dining hall, Toll House Cookie Pie for dessert, and different types of fries at the grill every night! I personally miss these aspects of our dining experience, along with the old to-go containers that were easy to grab last year. 

I’m excited to see some positive changes made on campus as well: the new chairs and tables in classroom buildings are much more comfortable than the old wooden desk chairs, the outside of the Admissions building is remodeled nicely, and we’re back to in-person events!

• Maria Sell ‘23

One thing that I’ve noticed and heard students talking about on campus is the addition of new bike racks! The Office of Sustainability worked with artists to design unique structures that are perfect parking places–something that was severely lacking last year. More are in the process of being installed, including some with overhead covers to protect from those pesky New London rainstorms, so keep an eye out! Although I don’t have a bike on campus, it’s great to see that the conditions for this more sustainable option are improving. 

• Lara Beckius ‘24

The first major change I noticed on campus this fall was that the inside of JA has been repainted. The trim and window panes were repainted a nice dark brown. This makes the inside of the dorm/dining hall feel much more complete and clean. I had not realized how faded and chipped the old paint was until I walked into JA for the first time this semester and was pleasantly surprised with the fresh new paint! This is a good example of how the little changes really do make a big difference around campus.

• Sarah Hennig ‘24

The first thing I noticed when returning to campus this fall was that Harris and JA dining services no longer offer single-use takeout containers. Instead they give students the option of “Conn-tainers”, which are sturdy, reusable containers meant to be washed and returned to the dining hall. This is a great way for the college to reduce waste!

• Sophia Nadeau ‘24
Lara is a senior at Connecticut College, where she is pursuing a double major in environmental studies and economics with a minor in dance. Her interests include choreography, sustainability, the performing arts, and conservation.