This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Welcome to Smith 202. I wish I could give you an MTV Check out my Crib tour, but I am a college student who does not have the funds for that. However, I will argue that you do not need flashing lights in order to see how iconic this room is.

Hi, my name is Kiara and my roommate is Mary. Truth is, I do not know how to give you a proper tour because the WOW factor in our room is my roommate herself. She is probably one of the greatest people I have ever met.

No seriously. Just look at this beauty.

Okay. So you’re probably wondering, is this just another “Oh my god, I have the best roommate and you don’t, kind of story.” I am not trying to brag about how amazing my roommate is. Nor am I trying to say that we are completely in sync with each other. Actually, we are the complete opposites. Most of our conversations start with questions of why we do what we do, say what we do, or even eat what we do. None of this is to say that we judge each other. What I am fond of our relationship is that we both come from curiosity and not judgment.

I was born and raised as a first-generation American on the Southside of Chicago. Truth is I love my city. I wear it with pride, not as much as Chance the Rapper does, but I try. My education came from a very diverse and liberal arts high school. When I say that Mary is the complete opposite of me, I truly mean it. She comes from a small town, private education, and privileged background. It was hard to come from a city to a small town in Connecticut. Cultural shock is a real thing, my fellow P.O.Cs. However, little by little Mary and I started to get to know each other, and soon enough this place became my home.

The first time I cried in my room was because there was an announcement that DACA will not continue. I know a lot of people in my circle that depend on this permit for work and hope. That was such an emotional day for me. I felt that many people in my city were crying while I quietly sat at a desk. That night, one of my closest friends called me about her broken future. All I could say was, I’m sorry. I’m not there. I wish I was there. I’m here. I can’t do anything. In that moment I felt that being on campus, in my dorm room, was restraining me from being with my community. The marches on the streets to fight against deportation seemed so far from me to join. Five minutes later, I found myself sobbing in my bed.

Funny thing is, Mary was in bed the whole time listening to this. Talk about awkward, right? The next day I saw something in Mary that brought me closer to her. She held sympathy. She understood that she would never have empathy for what it means to be of my identity on this campus. She didn’t say “I’m so sorry, or Oh well”, instead she asked me if people were okay, and further questioned the details of this issue.

I didn’t know that I was going to open somebody’s mind in the same room where I cry to This Is Us. Recently I asked Mary if she had ever met a Mexican or Guatemalan person before she met me. Her answer was no. To think that I am the first person that she is learning from about these issues shocks me, but she also introduced me to people who do not come from the same background as me.

After that, everything went uphill from there. She quickly learned that I carry a bottle of Tapatio hot sauce everywhere I go. I learned that Vineyard Vines is a teen obsessed apparel company in the east coast. She learned that the Chicago Public School System needs some progress. I learned that people actually have sailboats. She learned about the power of Salsa music. I learned about Casseroles. Everyday with Mary is a day where I learn so much about a world that seemed so far away from mine, and yet learn so much about myself. I do not believe that I would be the person I am if it was not for her. She accepts, cares, and hears me. Which is not what I expected from a roommate in this small town.

So, I want you to feel welcomed in Smith 202. Mary, we have company! I hope you feel as welcome as I do.

-Kiara

Professional Oprah Enthusiast.  Otra Gordita Latina.  Xicana de Chicago.  I like to think my life is an NBC sitcom. Theatre and Anthropology Major with an English Minor.  Connecticut College Class of 2021.   
Her Campus Conn Coll