A Visitors Guide to Connecticut College by a Current Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Hello there, Connecticut College visitors! Are you a parent? A student? A prospective student? If yes, you are in luck. This week for Her Campus Conn Coll, I am writing a visitors guide on what to see, where to eat, and things to do when you come to visit campus. Grab a snack and keep on reading!

Where to go

Obviously, an important stop when visiting Connecticut College is… the college! A few fun stops on our campus include:

1. Coffee Grounds

Coffee Grounds is attached to the dorm KB and is one of three coffee shops on campus. This is my personal favorite because of the music that the class of 2021 president Emir plays as a barista! They also make the best-iced chai lattes. 

2. Cummings Art Center

Cummings is located on the south end of campus next to the Williams School and is home to many exciting spots. The Greer Music Library is a great stop in the basement of Cummings. Already in the basement? Stop by Oliva Hall or Evans Hall for an acapella show, band concert, or Wig & Candle show! Just want to see some art? The main floor of Cummings always has interesting exhibits to browse. 

3. Unity House

Unity House is located across from Burdick on the Mohegan Avenue side and happens to be my favorite building on campus. It is home to the Department of Equity and Inclusion but it also serves as a prime space for clubs to get together and quiet study space. Unity also has a kitchen that students can reserve which is crucial during exam weeks. 

Where to eat

New London and the surrounding towns have plenty of options when it comes to finding places to eat. From seafood spots to upscale restaurants to family-owned hideaways, the best restaurants are only an Uber ride away. 

1. Captain Scott’s Lobster Dock

Captain Scott’s is a casual restaurant located right on the water in New London. Their seafood is the best in town and the picnic tables are great for large groups. Although this restaurant is only open seasonally, it is a must try on a warm day. 

2. Red 36

Another waterfront option is Red 36 in Mystic. Although this restaurant is a little bit further from campus and a little bit more expensive, it is a great spot for brunch! Sit inside or outside and enjoy the train pass by across the water. After your meal, explore downtown Mystic by grabbing a cup of coffee or an ice cream cone. 

3. Muddy Waters

Muddy Waters Cafe played a huge role in my decision to come to Connecticut College. After I toured the school for the second time, my mom and I went to Muddy Waters, ordered sandwiches and lattes, and sat outside on the deck. Sitting so close to the water solidified my decision that Conn was right for me. Muddy Waters has a beautiful view of the Thames River and the best breakfast items. For Youtube fanatics, Muddy Waters Cafe is owned by the father of famous Youtuber Casey Neistat! 

Things to do

In and around your visit to Conn, make some time to have fun! Here are a few things to do in places to see off campus. 

1. Ocean Beach Park

Ocean Beach Park is a short drive away from campus and has a lot to offer! In the warmer months, students and visitors can swim in the ocean, try out the Olympic-sized swimming pool, go down the water slide, or play mini golf. In cooler months, the beach is still open for walks down the jetty or to watch the ships go by. 

2. Mohegan Sun Casino

Mohegan Sun in Uncasville is more than a casino. Mohegan Sun offers weekly concerts, athletic events, and some of the best restaurants in southeastern Connecticut. Tickets to events are usually very affordable and always available last minute. Mohegan Sun also offers great retail stores and hotel rooms for visitors who are planning to stay for more than a day. 

3. Mystic Aquarium 

The Mystic Aquarium is perfect for all ages. Maybe your prospective students want to look at Conn but their siblings do not. The aquarium is a great solution! With constantly changing exhibits, guided tours, and plenty of research opportunities for students, the aquarium is definitely a must-see attraction. Bonus stop: the Old Mystic Village is right next to the aquarium and offers a variety of restaurants, shops, and a movie theater. 

Visiting Connecticut College soon? Come to Her Campus meeting or connect with our team on social media! We cannot wait to see you on campus. 

I am a sophomore at Connecticut College studying sociology in hopes of becoming a journalist/activist.
Her Campus Conn Coll