The Vagina Monologues at Connecticut College!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

This Friday, February 21st at 7:00 pm and Saturday, February 22nd at 2:00 pm and 7:00 pm, Connecticut College is putting on its 12th annual production of Eve Ensler’s The Vagina Monologues. While many people on campus have heard about The Vagina Monologues, not as many people know about its history and purpose.

The Vagina Monologues was written by playwright Eve Ensler in 1996 and are based on interviews that Ensler conducted with over 200 women. Each monologue covers topics such as sex, love, menstruation, violence against women, female genital mutilation, masturbation, orgasms and birth. While topics are diverse, they all focus on women’s experiences with their vaginas and unite to empower women.

One of the goals of the performance is to fundraise: 90% of the proceeds go to Safe Futures, which is located in New London and helps people affected by sexual assault and domestic violence. The other 10% goes to One Billion Rising, a global campaign started by Eve Ensler that aims to help end violence against women. In 2012, Connecticut College ‘s Vagina Monologues raised $5,000 and in 2013, they raised $10,000. This year they’re raising the bar even higher and are aiming to raise $15,000!

If you’re interested in seeing The Vagina Monologues, tickets are on sale NOW in Cro (everyday until from noon – 5:00 pm until Friday, February 21st) and will be sold at the door. Tickets are $8.00 for students and $10.00 for all others. If you want to learn more about the show, watch the videos below to learn more about the fundraising effords and about why cast members do The Vagina Monologues:

Meg DeJong

Conn Coll

I'm a senior at Conn and this is my first year writing for Her Campus. I'm a Psychology major, Sociology minor, and am also in PICA. Outside of Her Campus, I am also a part of SafetyNet, Active Minds and the Vagina Monologues. Some of my favorite activities include traveling, reading, photography, swimming, biking, going to Red Sox games, and having wine and cheese nights with friends. After graduation, I hope to teach abroad for a year and then pursue a career as a strategist at an advertising agency.
Her Campus Conn Coll