This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

As the year comes to an end, everyone is preoccupied with the thought of all things summer. But of course, the only stressor standing in between you and the summer fun is finals. Everyone has their own way of preparing for exams, but the late nights in Club Shain fueled by excessive snacking are inevitable. Check out some of these interesting, nontraditional studying rituals that have helped Conn students get through exam weeks. 

1. The Academic Diet

Reward yourself based on your productivity during your study sessions. If you’re productive, treat yourself to some ice cream or any of your guilty pleasures without feeling guilty! But if you’ve spent your “study session” scrolling through Facebook or gossiping with friends, don’t even think about getting that dessert. This strategy will surely keep you focused and motivated!

2. Nap on your notes

Spread out all your notes on your bed (or wherever you’re comfy) and take some time to review them as needed. Then, take a short nap right on top of them! If you’re on your bed, you can slide the notes under your pillow. Be sure to set an alarm if you need one, studying on your bed is dangerous territory. Some believe that the proximity to your notes, even while sleeping, will help you absorb the information. 

3. Listen to a different genre of music!

Try listening to music you usually don’t listen to on a daily basis while studying. Whether it’s throwback music, classical, or foreign music, listening to music can stimulate thought processes and provide some tranquility. Make sure it’s not so distracting that you lose your focus! 

4. Take a hot shower at least twice a day

A clean body clears the mind and lifts the spirit. Plus hot water is always calming.

5. Chew gum and have a pen/pencil in hand while studying and during the exam

Taking your exams in the same manner you were studying in will increase your chances of recalling information during the exam. You’ll already have a pen/pencil with you during the exam, so just remember to bring some gum!

Happy studying & good luck with exams!

Her Campus Conn Coll