The Tunes for Empowerment (A W.O.C playlist)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Yeah so what a day, amrite? There are days when I really need to find a source of empowerment. For me, music satisfies this need. 

I made this playlist for the young girl who is extremely scared about the future,

Going to a PWI is stressful at times. Okay, I am going to be honest. Y’all it is a tough cookie. Like a stale, tough, rock type of cookie. I have to go into a room and claim my space. I have to go with the ‘I deserve to be here. I made it here. I am smart. I am bright. I know who I am. I know what I want to do. I will be a part of this space.” It is almost as if I have to pump myself up every day because a PWI is what you make it. If I claim my space then I will make it my space too. I wish I could be the person to tell you that you are not alone. That it is okay to have fears. I am working on this too. However, this playlist is full of “feel good” music. Many of the songs refer to being a women of color, young, and an amazing person.

(Shoutout to applemusic! Also #KiaraForAppleMusic #ICanSponsor)

So these are bops. The tunes.

1. Q.U.E.E.N – Janelle Monae.

2. Caramelo Duro – Miguel

3. Run the World – Beyonce

4. The greatest – Raleigh Ritchie

5. All about me – Syd

6. Talk to me Jaime – Woods

7. Bubbles – Jamila Woods

8. L.T.M.F – Courtnie

9. Vivir MI VIda – Marc Anthony

10. Cranes in the Sky – Solange

11. Yellow – Anime (ft. Nelly)

12. We Love us – Ric Wilson et al.

13. Joy – Levin Kali

14. Youth – Glass animals.

15. My hood – Ray Blk

16. Blessings – Chance

17. The bird – Anderson .Paak

18. Django Jane – Janelle Monae

19. Feeling Myself – Nicki Minaj

20. Amigas Cheetahs – The Cheetah Girls

21. Stronger – Kelly Clarkson

22. Girl ON Fire – Alicia Keys

https://open.spotify.com/user/5f4z4foi0ky83090hs2qxbt1h/playlist/4IdaMKpzYIU2Q5JmP4y2Q0?si=upUbXiY5Rbu7gCROC5Pzsg

https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/empowerment/pl.u-DdANrY6ImPXRgB

– Kiara 

Professional Oprah Enthusiast.  Otra Gordita Latina.  Xicana de Chicago.  I like to think my life is an NBC sitcom. Theatre and Anthropology Major with an English Minor.  Connecticut College Class of 2021.   
Her Campus Conn Coll