Top 5 Local Spots to Order Takeout to Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

The college website may say our dining halls are the crux of a student’s meal experience, but takeout is just as vital to an average student’s diet. Especially during a pandemic, we all crave certain comfort foods that you can’t always find in the dining halls. So, when the weekend hits and you have a little extra time for some ~self-care, consider dialing up one of these local restaurants for a night in with your housemates.

Jasmine Thai

My friends and I celebrated our first weekend back (as well as our senior year) with Jasmine Thai. Their vegetable or tofu pad thai is a must-try for newcomers, but they also a wide variety of noodle dishes, curry, dumplings, and sushi. I recommend ordering a bunch of options to share (in a safe way with your friends!) or save for leftovers the following night.

Mr G’s Restaurant

If you haven’t already noticed, there are a lot of pizza places in the New London area, so it will take a few deliveries to discover which restaurant you like best. A classic is Mr G’s, which some may say is the best local pizza spot in town but that is up for you to decide. They have a wide variety of pizza offerings, but also salads, sandwiches, pasta dishes, and more.

Slice Pizza Bar

Staying on the topic of pizza, Slice is another hot-spot (or should I say ‘epicenter’ in lieu of Dean Arcelus’ email) for Conn students. They also have your basic Margherita pizza, but also a buffalo chicken pizza and a veggie pie for vegetarians.

Swad Tandoori

If you are craving authentic Indian food, check out Swad Tandoori in New London. Their menu includes both vegetarian and poultry, meat, and seafood options including shahi dal makhani, chana masala, tandoori chicken, lamb curry, and shrimp biryani. Any one of these entrees or a combination with a side order of one of their various naan specialties will make a delicious meal.

Mirch Masala

During a regular semester, Mirch Masala would set up shop in Crozier-Williams for students to come by and choose from a variety of Indian dishes for a reasonable price. Luckily, they also do takeout so you won’t miss out on their chicken, lamb, and vegetable-based entrees this semester. Personally, my mouth is watering over an order of chana masala and vegetable biryani rice.

Where do you like to order takeout from near campus? Let us know and we will feature you on our social media channels!

Elizabeth Berry

Conn Coll '21

Elizabeth Berry is an English and Italian Studies double major at Connecticut College with a passion for journalism. She enjoys overnight oats, traveling to new cities, and reading the night away.