Top 10 Things To Do If You’re Stuck On Campus For Fall Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Stuck at Conn during our very “long” Fall Break? (Note the sarcasm). Well, here are 10 different things to do while being stuck on campus. Hopefully they will help you rejuvinate for the upcoming weeks ahead!

1. Do homework: It is always a good idea to use your spare time to be productive and catch up on any homework and if you’re really feeling ambitious, look ahead on the syllabus and get ahead! It might seem nerdy, but you’ll feel so much more relaxed when everyone is stressing out.

2.Explore the Arbo: If the weather is nice, take a walk around the arboretum and use your time to explore the road less traveled. The arbo was established in 1931 on 64 acres of land owned by Conn. The Native Plant Collection includes over 300 plant species! In addition to all the cool plant life, the arbo has a beautiful pond and provides limitless calming spaces for studying or just relaxing.

3. Broaden your political knowledge: Stay informed and up to date on politics, Camels! You don’t have to be a government major to understand our government and the importance of the election, which is coming up on Tuesday November 6! Get your hands on any news articles and recent polls and try to learn more about our democracy. Check out Political Wire, New York Times, or The Washington Post for full election coverage.

4. Catch up on sleep: Ahhh sleep. None of us college students get enough of it, but we all need it! Turn off your alarm and get some rest! Teenagers typically need eight to nine hours of sleep, but studies show that we are getting about six. It is well known that we don’t perform as well academically when we don’t get enough sleep and we’re also pretty grumpy– so don’t let your academics or social life suffer and say good night earlier!

5. Explore New London: Downtown New London has some awesome restaurants, shops, and historic sites; here are just a few of the many great possibilities. Grab coffee at Bean & Leaf’s new location on Bank Street, get brunch at The Yolk Café (formerly Broken Yolk), or dinner at Tony D’s. Of course, shopping is always available at Crystal Mall the shops at Mohegan Sun, but if you have a chance, check out the shops at Olde Mistick Village and you won’t be disappointed!

6. Research internships: Summer may seem a long ways away, but the wonderful advisors at CELS know it is never too early to start your search! Check out these resources:
http://www.conncoll.edu/campuslife/internships.htm
http://www.conncoll.edu/campuslife/career-guidance-cels.htm

7. Check out the Lyman Allyn Art Museum: The museum is a few moments away from south campus, so if you’re looking for some culture for your weekend, the museum is open from 10am-5pm Tuesday- Saturday and 1-5pm on Sunday. Molly Ashmore, an intern at The Lyman Allyn Art Museum told us about what’s happening in the museum now, “The museum, housed in a handsome Neo-Classical building, is home to the permanent American Stories exhibit. This collection includes over 10,000 pieces with an emphasis on American painting and sculpture from the 18th through 20th centuries. However, the museum also takes great pride in temporary exhibitions such as the museum’s newest addition Dinotopia: Art, Science, Imagination. The exhibit features the art of author-illustrator James Gurney (creator of the Dinotopia series) and selections of dinosaur bones and specimens from the Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History. The museum, bordering on the south parking lot, is just a short walk from campus. Best of all, admission is free to all Connecticut College students.”

8. Start planning Halloweekend: Listen up little freshmen, here at Conn we celebrate Halloween as much as possible, so be ready with costumes starting Thursday October 25 and obviously don’t forget the Halloween Dance hosted by SAC on October 27th. Need costume ideas? HerCampus has got you covered: http://www.hercampus.com/school/conncoll/cost-free-costumes-halloween-2012

9. Catch up with friends from home and family: Even if you can’t make the trip back home, your friends and family will appreciate the phone call or skype session over the long weekend. Make sure people know they are missed.

10. Pick up a new hobby: Have you always had a secret desire to try something new and different? Well, if you have some extra time on your hands, use it and challenge yourself to a new hobby! Popular hobbies include arts and crafts, sports, and reading! You can also do some research on clubs at Conn by checking out the club list on ConnQuest: http://connquest.conncoll.edu/.

Rachel is a senior, economics major at Connecticut College and the Campus Correspondent for Conn's Her Campus Chapter! She started writing for Her Campus during her junior year and fell in love with the website and the amazing group of girls. In addition to Her Campus, Rachel is on the Executive Board of the Student Activities Council as the Director of Public Relations, so she stays very busy at Conn! Rachel is originally from Washington, DC, but plans on moving to New York after graduation, where she has lived the past few summers due to her internships with Versace and Burson-Marsteller. Besides keeping busy with school and activities, Rachel enjoys watching Scandal, eating sushi, reading anything by Malcolm Gladwell, listening to Songza, and having the best senior year with her friends! 
Danielle is a sophomore at Connecticut College and is currently pursuing a double-major in International Relations and Middle Eastern Studies. Danielle began writing for the Connecticut College branch of Her Campus in the fall of 2011 and will continue to write this year as Editor and Campus Correspondent. Danielle has traveled all over the world and continues her love for other cultures and languages through her studies. Besides traveling, she loves to sing and dance - especially as a member of Miss Connduct, an all-female A capella group at Connecticut College. In general, Danielle loves sushi, goats, traveling, and Star Wars/Lord of the Rings. She is thrilled to be working with Her Campus this year!