This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Floralia, a Conn tradition, is a day-long festival that brings out different genres of music, especially our student groups and bands. This Conn tradition is structured like Coachella (no offense to Coachella) with free food, inflatables, numerous tents, diverse music, and many other festival aspects. Weeks before the event, students plan their festival outfits, their weekend itineraries, and who’s waking up at the crack of dawn to put down their tent. For the upperclassmen that have done Floralia more than once, our tips might be something that you might have thought of yourself. And for first-years and new students, here are some things you should take into consideration:

“BRING A BEACH CHAIR OR A CHAIR IN GENERAL. Thankfully before Floralia, I found a beach chair in one of the thrift stores in New London. Sitting on the ground is not all that bad, but sitting in a chair is ten times more comfortable. That way your back feels comfortable and your legs don’t hurt from standing up for too long. Because I was the only one of my friends that had a chair, we rotated using my beach chair. This could be helpful if you and your friends are on a budget.”  

-Viangely Asencio ‘20

“Wear something that you feel comfortable in. You don’t want to be worried about your outfit or uncomfortable during the day when you are trying to enjoy the festivities! Also try to get a good breakfast that morning, especially if you plan to be drinking early. Lastly, have fun!!”  

-Carolyn Cross ’19

“Don’t let the FOMO (or should I say, Flo-MO) get to you. It’s perfectly okay to get there late or take a midday break. If taking time to recharge is what you need to enjoy Flo to the fullest, then do it! While I couldn’t section off a chunk of my day to work on schoolwork during Floralia as my friend did, I left the festival to take a nap, and it was extremely refreshing. Also, don’t roll your eyes at the artist set just yet; I personally love music festivals for the exposure to new artists and a wide variety of genres, so keep an open mind.”  

-Samantha Barth ‘21

“If you don’t want to go to Floralia, don’t go. I missed Floralia my First year and my Junior year and I don’t regret it. Floralia is one of the last chances of the semester to get together with your friends before the mental grind through finals period truly begins in most people’s’ minds. Make plans to get together with your core group of friends, but don’t feel like you have to spend the entire day together. Floralia is about enjoying yourself. If you know you’re someone who needs breaks, plan them. If you need to make plans in order to eat anything, plan a specific timeline and follow through in order to make sure that you eat throughout the day.  I can’t stress enough PLAN ahead, but be flexible and roll with the punches. Be prepared and be smart.”

-Kiely Goss ‘19

“Plan a mid-day activity with your friends. Get off campus and go out to lunch, go to Mystic, or even go to the arboretum. Many people take an afternoon break from the festival, and we all know that no homework is going to get done on Saturday, so you might as well do something fun!”

-Abby Schmitt ’21

“I am going to give some food tips because that seems to be my expertise (according to moi). Eat a hearty breakfast beforehand because the lunch and dinner offerings may not be to your liking…by that I mean it will probably be a salad kind of day. Make sure that you bring an empty container or water bottle so that you can refill it throughout the day, it’s really important to stay hydrated! There are food trucks and snacks offered around the event, but make sure to pack some snacks of your own just in case – maybe you can even have a picnic with friends!”

-Elizabeth Berry ‘21

“Waterproof makeup will save you in any situation. Waterproof mascara and setting powder will be your best friend if it is too hot you get sweaty, if it is raining, or if someone spills their drink. My favorite waterproof mascara is the Too Faced Better Than Sex Waterproof mascara.”

-Mary Sherwin ’21

“Familiarize yourself with the music of the performing artists. If you know the music, and can sing along to some of the songs with your friends, it will make your Floralia experience more fun and memorable. Also, be ready to pick up trash because if you do so, you can get a free Floralia fanny pack or water bottle!”

-Piper Baine ’21

Carolyn Cross is a junior at Connecticut College and is excited to be the Campus Correspondent for the fall! She is a Sociology major and a Psychology minor. She also plays club soccer and is in Habitat for Humanity at Conn.
Kiely is a senior at Connecticut College. A dedicated Psychology Major and Elementary Education Certification Scholar, she enjoys playing club soccer, playing board games or hiking with friends in her spare time. She just completed her summer internship at an elder care law firm and studied abroad in Cork, Ireland last spring. Currently, she is student teaching.
Sophmore from Brookfield, Connecticut (which is about two hours away from Conn). CISLA scholar, Anthropology major, intended hispanic studies minor. Outside of classes, she spend the majority of her time in a coffee shop or playing her flute.
Elizabeth Berry

Conn Coll '21

Elizabeth Berry is an English and Italian Studies double major at Connecticut College with a passion for journalism. She enjoys overnight oats, traveling to new cities, and reading the night away.
I am a sophomore at Connecticut College studying sociology in hopes of becoming a journalist/activist.
Samantha is a senior at Connecticut College, double-majoring in Sociology and Economics. She is currently the Beauty Section Editor and a National Writer for Her Campus, having prior been a Beauty Editorial Intern during the summer of 2019. She is also a writer and Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Conn Coll. She is passionate about intersectional feminism, puns, and sitcoms with strong female leads.
Viangely Asencio

Conn Coll '20

A senior at Connecticut College from Miami. Triple majoring in Sociology, Government, and Italian Studies. Competitive eater and part-time pianist. Passionate about topics in race and ethnicity and The Simpsons.