This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

This week, we battled it out amongst our classmates for the most coveted Connecticut College classes. There were some successes… and some losses, but we are ultimately very excited for a fantastic and fun Spring 2024 semester. Here are the classes we’re looking forward to most:

I am excited to take ANT 114: Power and Inequality. This course will discuss how power creates unequal access to resources among different cultures and contexts. Through an anthropological approach, I will learn how global economic systems contribute to poverty and inequality. I am eager to have a better understanding of how intersectional approaches to race, class, and gender apply to issues of food access and security. 

• Eva Rausch ‘27

I am approaching my Senior Spring, which means it is hard to convince me to take any classes that are not absolutely necessary for me to graduate. With that being said, there was one class offered in Art History that I simply could not pass up on: AHI 450: Bad Art: Looking Beyond Canon. This course examines how society distinguishes between “good” and “bad” art. Which artistic mediums are valued throughout art history and now? What art gets to be inside or outside the canon? We will get to look at art forms such as kitsch, souvenirs, visionary and self-taught art, fakes, velvet paintings, lawn ornaments, and food art, which are all forms that I have not been exposed to yet in an academic setting. It’s currently full, but if it is ever offered again, I suggest that any art historians check it out!

• Catherine Gwinnett ‘24

I’m most excited to take EDU 104: Power & Politics in Education. This course looks at some of the educational issues occurring here in the U.S., as well as how schools can be scenes of political struggle. I’m considering a major in Education Studies, and I’m hoping this class will give me some insight into the subject, as well as teach me about some of the inherent problems in the U.S. education system. 

• Allie Ziegler ‘27

To be completely honest, I only need one more class to graduate with my Economics and Environmental Studies double major and Dance minor. With one more 300-level Econ class to tick off, and the recommendation to take Calc C for grad school purposes, my Senior Spring wasn’t shaping up to be too exciting in terms of course load. However, although I’ve been done with my Dance minor for years, I couldn’t pass up taking one more dance class before I graduate, so I signed up for DAN 165: Afro-Diasporic Dance I! I am so excited for this class, both to continue building my dance vocabulary, as well as to simply have the opportunity to move during the cold winter months of the Spring semester. Additionally, some classes that I have already taken that are being offered next semester and that have literally changed my brain chemistry include DAN 340: History of Dance and ES 493A: Law, Science, and the Environment. I’m excited for a wonderful last semester at Conn!

• Lara Beckius ‘24
Lara is a senior at Connecticut College, where she is pursuing a double major in environmental studies and economics with a minor in dance. Her interests include choreography, sustainability, the performing arts, and conservation.
Eva Rausch

Conn Coll '27

My name is Eva (she/her) and I am a freshman at Connecticut College! I am interested in majoring in gender, sexuality, and intersectionality studies, classics, anthropology, or english. I am also curious about pursuing the Museum Studies Certificate Program at Conn. I am an avid reader and baker. I also love to crochet and sew!
Hello! My name is Catherine (she/her) and I am a Classical Languages and Art History major at Connecticut College. I am also completing a Museum Studies Certificate Program here. I work as a curatorial and archival intern at the New London County Historical Society, and I love visiting museums and spending time around good (and bad) art.
Allie Ziegler

Conn Coll '27

Allie (she/her) is a freshman at Connecticut College and plans to double major in Theater and Educational Studies. Outside of HerCampus, she is on the executive board for Wig & Candle and participates in Student Activities Council. In her free time, she loves reading, crocheting, listening to music, and hanging out with friends!