This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

It’s that time of year where Hallmark is dominating the aisles of Target, and everything in your sight is pink and red. Some people hate Valentine’s Day, and some people love it – all for different reasons. Whether you’re spending this Valentine’s day with a significant other, or with your friends, you’ll need songs to soundtrack the holiday. Here is a list of some of the best love songs, breakup songs & empowering anthems that you can listen to no matter what your Valentine’s mood is.

LOVE SONGS:

1. This Must Be The Place, Talking Heads
  2. God Only Knows, The Beach Boys
  3. Help Me, Joni Mitchell
  4. Closest Thing, Ruston Kelly
  5. I Will, The Beatles
  6. Love Is a Wild Thing, Kacey Musgraves
  7. I Belong In Your Arms, Chairlift
  8. Music, James Taylor 
  9. Beyond, Leon Bridges
  10. The Way That She Loves, Tyler Hilton

There are so many incredible love songs that have become classics over the years, and there are even songs that are released more recently that are some of the most beautiful love songs to exist yet. “This Must Be The Place” is an alternative classic but has gone on to be one of the most romantic songs ever. “Never for money, always for love,” David Byrne sings on the chorus. “Closest Thing” by Ruston Kelly is a relatively unknown song, but has some of the most stunning imagery on falling for someone. “You’re the closest thing to running with my shoes untied,” is how the song opens, and it’s subtlety is enough to stop you in your tracks. 

BREAKUP SONGS:

1. Think Of Me, Madi Diaz
  2. Go Your Own Way, Fleetwood Mac
  3. You’re So Vain, Carly Simon
  4. All Too Well (10 Minute Version), Taylor Swift
  5. Dirty Work, Steely Dan
  6. A Movie Script Ending, Death Cab for Cutie
  7. Better Man, Little Big Town
  8. Heart Of The Matter, Don Henley

Breakups can be angry. They can be about forgiving someone, or growing as an individual. All 8 of these songs hit one of those marks – “Think of Me” by Madi Diaz is intensely cathartic, while “A Movie Script Ending” by Death Cab for Cutie and “Heart of the Matter” by Don Henley lean into the bittersweet parts of an ending. 

EMPOWERING SONGS:

1. Buy My Own Drinks, Runaway June
  2. Stand For Myself, Yola
  3. Dream, Girl, Hailey Whitters
  4. Juice, Lizzo
  5. Feeling Myself, Beyoncé
  6. Man! I Feel Like A Woman, Shania Twain

In some ways, it’s no surprise that this list is all women – some of the best love songs are about loving yourself and having a good time. “Buy My Own Drinks” is all about taking yourself out on a date rather than needing a man to; “Stand For Myself” by Yola is a fabulous song about the connection between music and holding your ground.

Lucie Bernheim

Conn Coll '24

Lucie is a sophomore at Conn where she studies music. She loves all things music, reading, and hanging out with friends.