Seven Food Items Worth Having in Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Each week, I will contribute an article to my food column: College Cooking, where I will share recipes and opinions on food trends and culture. To see more of what I like to cook and bake, check out my personal food Instagram at @healthy_eclair

While the dining halls have plenty of options when it comes to oatmeal toppings, sandwich combos, and rice bowls, there are a few items which I like to have on hand in my dorm room. I am fortunate to have a car on campus, but all of these dried goods can be purchased online or through an Instacart order. Also, all five items will last you a while (with perhaps the exception of nut butter)…

Here are five “pantry” staples I always have at hand in my dorm room whether in a pandemic or not.

Nut (or Sunflower) Butter

So, I know the dining halls have serving size containers of peanut butter, but I am a complete snob when it comes to nut butter. My favorite brand is Teddie’s, but I am also partial to Trader Joe’s Almond and Cashew butter if you want to go crazy. If you are allergic to tree nuts and peanuts, I recommend trying Sunflower butter as an allergen-friendly alternative. I love to have a huge jar of nut butter on hand to add to oatmeal, yogurt bowls, bagels, or toast. Not to mention the classic PB&J sandwich.

Dried Fruit

The food I missed most during my first year at college was fruit, especially strawberries and blueberries which are not always available in the dining halls. An easy way to enjoy your favorite fruits that you may be able to find in the dining hall is to order dried fruit. My favorites are dried mango and pineapple.

Chocolate

If you are a chocolate lover like me, I recommend splurging on your favorite chocolate brands to have on hand when stress is running high or you want to jazz up the vanilla Lactaid ice cream from the 1962 Room. My favorite dairy-free brand is Enjoy Life. I love to add a handful of chocolate chips to my ice cream or oatmeal, or just eat as is:).

Chia Seeds

In a regular year, the dining halls would have a plastic shaker filled with chia seeds that I would always add to yogurt or peanut butter honey toast. But I haven’t seen this jar recently due to COVID-19 which is why I recommend purchasing a bag of chia seeds. I love to use chia seeds to make chia seed pudding or overnight oats, plus they have a lot of nutrients packed into a tablespoon.

Ground Cinnamon

There was a similar container for ground cinnamon, but I have not seen it there this year as sharing this surface with students is unsafe in a pandemic. This is why I recommend purchasing some ground cinnamon to store in your room. I love adding cinnamon to my oatmeal, ground coffee beans, toast, and even a sliced banana as a sweet treat!

Everything But the Bagel Seasoning

If you love avocado toast and Trader Joe’s, then you may already be familiar with TJ’s Everything But the Bagel Seasoning. Now that there is an avocado toast bar in the 1962 Room, adding a few shakes of this seasoning will bring your toast to a whole new level. You can also sprinkle this combo on top of eggs, pasta, or salad for added flavor!

Canned Soup

Now, this item is not necessary but does come in clutch. I have recently gotten into Amy’s canned soup (specifically their lentil vegetable) which is an easy lunch or dinner you can warm up in your microwave. This is a great option on a rainy day when you don’t want to walk to the dining hall, or are cramming for an exam.

I have found that these items not only jazz up my meals but also make me feel like I am cooking in my dorm room, which is always a good feeling.

Elizabeth Berry

Conn Coll '21

Elizabeth Berry is an English and Italian Studies double major at Connecticut College with a passion for journalism. She enjoys overnight oats, traveling to new cities, and reading the night away.