Presidential Debate Recap in Quotes

This election has been especially schismatic. Monday, September 26, 2016 brought Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump head to head for the first time to debate at Hofstra University. Although some insults were hurled, we have picked out several thought-provoking quotes to showcase the proposed policies and perspectives of each party candidate.  

Proposed Strategies for Achieving Prosperity:

  • HC: “We are 5% of the world… we have to trade with the other 95%.”

  • HC: “We can build a new, modern electric grid. That’s a lot of new jobs.”

  • HC: “Broad based inclusive growth is what we need in America.”

  • DT: “We have to renegotiate our trade deals...the NAFTA agreement is defective.”

  • DT: “There are thousands of jobs leaving Michigan, leaving Ohio...we have to stop our jobs from being stolen from us.”

  • DT: “I’ll be reducing taxes tremendously.”

Proposed Methods to Address Racial Tension:

  • HC: “Two things: we need to restore trust and tackle the plagues of gun violence.”

  • HC: “We’ve got to address systemic racism in the criminal justice system.”

  • HC: “You should not have a profit motivation to fill prison cells.”

  • DT: “We need law and order. Without it, we’re not going to have a country.”

  • DT: “The African American community has been let down by our politicians.”

  • DT: “You do stop and frisk, which worked very well in New York. It brought the crime rate way down.”

Proposed Strategies to Secure America:

  • HC: “We need to make it very clear… we will defend the citizens of this country.”

  • HC: “We’ve got to defeat ISIS and to disrupt their propaganda acts online.”

  • HC: “NATO has an Article 5 [stating that] an attack on one is an attack on all and the only time it's been invoked…9/11. They fought by our side.”

  • DT: “We cannot be the policeman of the world.”

  • DT: “Many NATO countries are not paying their fair share. We have to get NATO to go into the Middle East and knock the hell out of ISIS.”

  • DT: “Nuclear is the single greatest threat...Once the nuclear alternative happens, it’s over.”