college parties?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
college parties?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
NETFLIX

Partying Responsibly: A Guide to Safe Socializing in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Participating in college social events and activities while prioritizing safety and well-being is crucial for a positive and enjoyable experience. To help you steer the college party experience responsibly, here are some ways to stay safe:

Eat Before Consuming Alcohol:

Consume a reasonable amount of food before attending social events. This can help slow down the absorption of alcohol in your system.

Plan Ahead:

Be sure you have a reliable way to get home, or a safe place to stay if needed. This includes a designated driver, school transportation, or ride sharing, such as Uber. Additionally, create a budget for the night and stick to it.

The Buddy System:

The buddy system is crucial! Attending social events with friends you trust and can look out for each other is the best way to ensure everyone is safe and will get home.

Know Your Limits:

It is very important to know your personal tolerance for alcohol or other substances, so adhere to your body’s limits. Remember that everyone’s tolerance varies, so don’t base your decisions on someone else’s capacity.

Learn from Past Experiences:

We all have made mistakes and have had challenging experiences at parties. Take time to reflect on past experiences and make adjustments to avoid repeating the same errors.

College is often referred to as the “best time of your life.” While it’s important to have fun and create long-lasting memories, prioritizing your safety and well-being is equally crucial to minimize harm and have an enjoyable college experience.

Emma Whitford

Conn Coll '26

Emma Whitford is a sophomore at Connecticut College from Stonington, Connecticut. She is an English major. She enjoys writing about books, movies, and lifestyle. In her free time, she enjoys reading, watching movies, and spending time in the outdoors.