This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Last week, pop icon Taylor Swift dropped her latest album Midnights. Here are some of our thoughts:

Personally, I absolutely loved Midnights. Listening to it for the first time, at… well, midnight sharp, as I frantically texted friends freaking out about each song, is something I can only describe as an out-of-body experience. Initial highlights, for me, were “Maroon, “Anti-Hero, “Mastermind, “Sweet Nothing,” and “Labyrinth.” Since then, “You’re On Your Own, Kid,” and several of the bonus tracks have grown on me. To be quite honest, I do understand why people are disappointed in Midnights if they had been expecting a Folklore or evermore, (and trust me, Folklore is hands down my favorite Taylor Swift album, and I would absolutely love another like it), but I do not feel it is fair to set expectations like that–especially for the genre-hopper that Taylor is. My only real disappointment was “Snow On The Beach, as I still would have loved more Lana vocals, but it is growing on me!

• Caroline Snyder, ‘26

After staying up all night to listen to the entire album, I was surprised and disappointed that Midnights didn’t get as much love as other Taylor albums since I personally loved it! I know that Midnights was a change from Folklore and evermore, but its pop sound and lyrics reminded me so much of reputation, Lover, and 1989. I think that people who are saying it doesn’t stand up to Taylor’s past song writing simply aren’t paying attention to all the lyrics. The original tracks and the 3am tracks include incredible lines and have outstanding orchestration that make them just as memorable as previous albums.  

I think there are some incredible tracks that hold up to be as heartbreaking as Taylor’s highest rarest songs due to their stories about love and loss, such as “You’re On Your Own Kid,” “Bigger than the Whole Sky, and “Would’ve Could’ve Should’ve.” The fun and upbeat tracks like “Lavender Haze,” “Mastermind,” “Paris,” and “Bejeweled” have all been stuck in my head the past week. Positive or negative opinion, I think everyone should give Midnights another listen to give the songs another chance at surprising them. 

• Maria Sell ‘23 

After the long anticipated wait for Midnights, I, like many others, listened to the album at 12:00am. My first reaction was that I enjoyed the sound, but it was different than what I initially expected. With the description of the album being centered around late nights and restless thoughts, I was expecting a sadder, slower album. Upon the release of the first 13 songs and then the additional 7, I was a bit overwhelmed and nervous that I would never learn which song is which! However, after listening to the album on repeat, I ended up loving it. Taylor Swift is arguably one of the best lyricists of our time, and this album further proves that. My favorite songs as of right now are: “Maroon,” “Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve,” and “The Great War,” though I would not be surprised if this order changed within the next hour. I also think it is truly commendable that Taylor Swift can dominate any genre of music, especially having a mix of sounds combined onto one album like Midnights. 

– Katie Madow ’25

This was actually the first Taylor Swift album I stayed up until midnight to listen to (which I feel is fitting given the title). I personally cannot stop listening to it. In spite of it being a great departure from the genre of Folklore and evermore I think the only thing we can ever expect from Taylor Swift is something new and that’s what we got. Midnights, I feel like, is a beautiful combination of her past eras of pop exploration (reputation, Lover, and 1989) with a lens that feels more mature and introspective. My personal favorites are “Mastermind,” “Bejeweled,” “Labyrinth,” “You’re On Your Own, Kid, “ and “Anti-Hero.” I will defend Taylor Swift’s musical endeavors and choices with my life so I can’t say I’m not biased, but I really feel like this album was what she needed and what we as an audience needed. It’s produced pop but it’s also emotional and reflective. This might be me projecting a bit, but to me a lot of the songs feel very similar to Lorde’s Melodrama (one of my favorite albums of all time) in the way that they are able to evoke honest and authentic emotions as well as give us upbeat and dance-worthy rhythms. This might be a result of Jack Antonoff’s very recognizable production style, but there’s something else there that feels very “let’s go dance our sorrows away at midnight but also maybe have an existential crisis in the process.” 

-Hannah Grinnell ‘24

When I first listened to Midnights, I honestly was a bit disappointed. I was thrown off guard by the synths, especially in the first song, “Lavender Haze.” But, as a huge Taylor Swift fan, I kept listening to it over the course of the week. It wasn’t until I listened to it while driving at night that I really started to love the album. Taylor Swift albums tend to have very specific energies, and Midnights is no different. Folklore is best listened to alone at sunrise, Red is best surrounded by fall foliage, and Midnights needs to be listened to after dark in the car. So many songs are standouts. “Maroon” is one of my favorites with its lyrics that feel like a story. “Paris” is so upbeat and immediately made me want to dance around and pretend I was in Paris. While I am not sure I even understand all the things Taylor lists in “Karma,” I cannot seem to get the song out of my head. It’s so catchy! I also have been having fun trying to connect these songs to her other albums. There are definitely certain songs that feel like they were originally intended to be a 1989 or Reputation Vault Track before they were pulled out as part of the Midnights collection. Honestly, I am really just excited to keep listening to the album. It is still too new to really feel the depth of her lyrics and I am constantly discovering lines I love. 

• Caitlin Boyd ‘24

I truly only have good things to say about Midnights. It was nothing like what I was expecting, and is so much better than I could’ve imagined. My absolute favorite Taylor Swift album is Lover, and Midnights seems to have a similar vibe. I really love that so much of the album has an upbeat vibe, and while the lyrics can be heartbreaking, it makes it easier to take. The 3am songs are also so incredible and such an amazing addition to the album. They seem to tie the whole album together, and regardless of what your favorite Taylor album is, Midnights seems to have a little piece of everything. On the first listen, I wasn’t sure I was going to love the whole album. Yet, the more I’ve listened, the more songs I’ve fallen in love with. Currently, my absolute favorites are: “Mastermind,” “Karma,” “Question…?” “You’re on Your Own Kid,” “Paris,” and “Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve.” My biggest piece of advice for listening to Midnights is that if you don’t initially love it, give it a couple more listens. Taylor never steers us wrong, and Midnights is the perfect example of that.

• Marina Jacob ‘25

I listened to Midnights right as it came out, of course, and thought it was very Taylor Swift but not my favorite album of hers. But listening to it a few more times and hearing the lyrics, I am in love. This album pulls together the vibes of reputation, Lover, Folklore, and 1989 perfectly. I think every song is reminiscent of a different album and there is something for everyone. If you like Folklore I’d recommend “You’re on Your Own Kid.” For Lover, I’d recommend “Bejeweled” and my personal favorite, “Would’ve Could’ve Should’ve.” This album just keeps getting better and better for me and I absolutely love it!

• Lauren Bryant ‘25
Marina Jacob

Conn Coll '25

Marina is a sophomore at Connecticut College studying Economics.
Caitlin Boyd

Conn Coll '24

Caitlin Boyd is a junior at Connecticut College studying neuroscience. She loves writing everything from book recs, to music reviews, to campus life experiences! If you see Caitlin around Conn, she is probably looking fascinated by the campus squirrels.
Katie Madow

Conn Coll '25

Hi! I’m Katie Madow and I am a sophomore at Conn. I'm a psych major!
Maria Sell

Conn Coll '23

Maria (she/her/hers) is a senior at Connecticut College studying American Studies and Sociology and is from the San Francisco Bay Area. She loves getting to play on the Women's Water Polo Team with her teammates here and enjoys reading, baking, and coaching water polo outside of school!
Caroline Snyder is a sophomore at Connecticut College who is double majoring in English and Environmental Studies! She is also on the rowing team, runs events for Conn's Her Campus chapter, is on the education task force in the Office of Sexual Violence Prevention, and works in the college's archives, among other things. She loves writing, reading, her cat, dinosaurs, working out, and sustainability.