This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

How would we prepare for and play the games? What arena would better ensure our survival? What would be our unexpected downfall? May the odds be ever in our favor!

I do not think of myself as very charming, but I have been told I do have a way about me, so I would just try to be myself (but not too much!) to hopefully get some sponsors, but I would not want to be too reliant on it. 

I would honestly try to go at it alone, as I feel like I would get too attached to anyone in any alliances I made and feel horrible if they died or I had to sacrifice them. Honestly, I’d probably end up being a terrible partner to have, because chances are, we’d be hiding in a bush or something and I would think about something random and start laughing. I have something of an idea of what is safe to eat, and have done a fair, but not extensive, amount of outdoor work and hiking, so I would probably at least do better than some in that department. 

I would definitely do better in a colder climate than a hotter one, as I am a lifelong New Hampshire resident, and I know the cold very well, though the good thing about having all seasons here in New England is that I have gotten a taste of each. Honestly, I would probably freak out about being constantly filmed and end up trying to look good for the camera while someone is sneaking up to get me– I feel like that would be my downfall. 

• Anonymous

The Hunger Games was one of my favorite movies when I was younger, and though I have pretended that I was Katniss Everdeen, I am actually nothing like her, and would not win the Hunger Games. I believe that I could enthrall some sponsors before the games, as I am usually able to tell people what they want to hear. Despite this, I would not rely on the sponsors for staying alive in the games. As a child, my family stayed confined to our home: we did not go camping, hiking, or do water-related activities. Due to this, I have little to no outdoor survival skills. I am terrified of bees and bugs, cannot climb trees, and am a cry baby when it comes to cuts and blisters. Needless to say, I am not well equipped for the Hunger Games and pray that nothing of the sort will occur in any human’s lifetime. 

I think that my strategy would be using my social skills for as long as I could: I would befriend and create an alliance with the most intimidating contestants so that they would underestimate me and keep me alive (so that I would be an easier kill later on). Once this tactic stopped working, I would play a game similar to Peeta and hide for awhile and find one very trustworthy ally who would take

My ultimate downfall would be having to use the bathroom. I already struggle with communal bathrooms due to other people being around, but I cannot imagine having to be outside with cameras on me during these very private moments. I would probably hold in my pee for as long as I could and end up dying from my bladder exploding, but frankly, I am okay with that. 

– Katie Madow ‘25

I would hope that I get some fans and sponsorships pre-games through interviews if I get the chance to be friendly and crack some jokes, but I would not bank on their support for survival. Fashion also plays a role going into the games, so I can just hope that my designers make me look good (maybe show off some muscles, but make it cute?). I have only really been “glamping” in my life and I feel pretty comfortable sleeping in the open, but would have no clue what plants would be safe to eat, and I would absolutely drink water that hasn’t been filtered. Unfortunately, a competitor would most likely discover my hiding spot when I inevitably scream about a huge spider in my face. 

As arenas go, I feel prepared for a variety of climates due to living in California summers and New England winters, but it would be pretty miserable to be competing and living in the heat. I can definitely use my adrenaline to run for short periods of time, climb trees, and hike for miles, but would eventually be exhausted from foot blisters and calf cramps. My major secret weapon would be my ability to swim, fight, and survive in water: I know I would outlast others in a largely aquatic area and have a shot at winning. 

• Maria Sell ‘23

There is no way to sugarcoat this, but I would not do well in the Hunger Games. While I’m a firm believer I do pretty well under pressure, this is not the pressure I thrive under. I would be desperate to form an alliance with someone, not only for the extra physical support but also just to have someone to talk to. But at the same time, if anything happened to my allies I would never be able to recover. While I absolutely love the outdoors (and exercising outdoors!) I am absolutely terrified of big bugs and would cry if anything crawled near me. For this reason, I think a late fall/winter climate would be best for me.

When it comes to outdoor survival skills, I’m more confident in my ability to survive than I probably should be. I like to think I’d be able to find safe things to eat, but that is definitely not true. I also would struggle with finding safe water to drink, and would end up wasting all my time arguing with myself over whether it was safe or not. In conclusion, here is my strategy: climb a tree and hope for the best. 

• Marina Jacob ‘25

I have virtually no skills. I have no athletic talent, and though I grew up in a very outdoorsy household, I have not maintained any of the skills I was taught. I am scared of the dark, and my fight or flight instinct manifests as freezing. I am a very particular person so I’m not sure how many donors I could manage to impress, but hopefully the previous winners would help with that. I think I would be able to find one donor that I click with. That’s about as far as my social battery goes. 

Once in the games, I would hide. I would go to the farthest point of the arena and just chill. I think that would get me through the first couple of days. Hiding would benefit me in multiple ways. I would get plenty of rest just in case I have to run, and I’d avoid seeing any blood. I hate blood, so staying away from the battleground is the only way I would be able to maintain any of the food and water I consumed. On the aspect of food and water, I have no fear about getting sick from food, so I’d probably just go for whatever I saw. Unfortunately I have a rather weak immune system so if I were to get sick from food or bad water I probably would succumb to the elements. 

•  Laura Martin ‘25
Maria Sell

Conn Coll '23

Maria (she/her/hers) is a senior at Connecticut College studying American Studies and Sociology and is from the San Francisco Bay Area. She loves getting to play on the Women's Water Polo Team with her teammates here and enjoys reading, baking, and coaching water polo outside of school!
Katie Madow

Conn Coll '25

Hi! I’m Katie Madow and I am a sophomore at Conn. I'm a psych major!
Marina Jacob

Conn Coll '25

Marina is a sophomore at Connecticut College studying Economics.
Laura Martin

Conn Coll '25

I am a woman of few hobbies, but I am always up to talk about dogs, cereal, and stomach issues!