This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

When someone first mentions movies to watch in the fall, the mind might automatically jump to horror/thriller flicks. However, there are so many other movies that perfectly encapsulate the vibes of this season. Here are some of our favorites:

We often connect while watching movies during this season of Halloween horror and jump scares, but I get the special “fall feeling” from other films because of their setting, story, music, and overall aesthetic. One of my favorite movies that also reminds me of the spooky season is Rian Johnson’s Knives Out (2019) because this mystery movie is so engaging, suspenseful, and can definitely be enjoyed as a non-horror thriller. 

The gorgeous manor set has a beautiful interior including floor-to-ceiling bookcases, warm lighting, incredible prop displays, dark furniture, and wood decor. The old brick exterior and architecture of the manor and surrounding woods in the film’s main setting really emphasizes the autumn feel to me. I wish I could experience Knives Out for the first time again, but now everytime I rewatch it (sometimes curled up with some apple cider and pumpkin candles), I get to discover new details and memorable lines while enjoying its aesthetic. 

• Maria Sell ‘23 

Every fall, I seem to face the same dilemma: I love Halloween and the spooky autumnal atmosphere, but I hate horror movies. So when everyone sits down to watch their scary favorites, I find myself pulling up Disney+ and putting on Coco. Coco has everything I want in a fall movie. The Dia de los Muertos setting gives the perfect spooky atmosphere, with its skeleton characters and golden leaves, without the nightmare-inducing qualities of many Halloween movies. Over the course of the movie, I laugh, I cry, I sing along to “Un Poco Loco.” Not to mention, this movie is absolutely beautiful. Between the animation of the skeletons, the intricately designed alebrijes, and the motion of the petal bridge, there is something for everyone to love. If its been a while since you last watched it, or if you need a wholesome movie to put you in the fall mood, definitely throw on Coco

• Caitlin Boyd ‘24

I love to watch Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone in the fall.  The first Harry Potter movie is full of fall, spooky vibes and it is very atmospheric.  The scene of the Halloween feast is one of my favorites because of the floating jack-o-lanterns, overflowing Halloween treats, and the troll on the loose.  Overall, the Harry Potter movies are perfect for the fall and spooky season, especially if you are like me and are not of fan of horror/scary movies.

• Sarah Hennig ‘24

My go to fall movie is When Harry Met Sally. It may be because of the cover photo of Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal in Central Park with all of the surrounding foliage that I associate it with fall, but I think it is the ultimate comfort movie. It is one of the blueprints for slow burn romances and it is filled with interesting conversations between the two leads. Being from New York, I also love watching and seeing the familiar settings. It is the perfect fall movie, not only because of the brightly colored leaves in every outdoor scene, but the fashion as well. Meg Ryan wears many light jackets and sweaters as well as some memorable hats. Billy Crystal also wears an iconic white sweater, truly adding to the fall look. If you are looking for a romcom/comfort movie for fall, When Harry Met Sally is the perfect choice. 

• Eva Kohn ’26
Sarah Hennig

Conn Coll '24

Sarah Hennig is a junior at Conn who loves to read and write. She enjoys hiking, traveling, and spending time with her friends.
Maria Sell

Conn Coll '23

Maria (she/her/hers) is a senior at Connecticut College studying American Studies and Sociology and is from the San Francisco Bay Area. She loves getting to play on the Women's Water Polo Team with her teammates here and enjoys reading, baking, and coaching water polo outside of school!
Caitlin Boyd

Conn Coll '24

Caitlin Boyd is a junior at Connecticut College studying neuroscience. She loves writing everything from book recs, to music reviews, to campus life experiences! If you see Caitlin around Conn, she is probably looking fascinated by the campus squirrels.