This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Here at Her Campus Conn Coll, we sure love our music. Here’s what we’re listening to right now:

I definitely listen to songs according to the weather outside and Stick Season came out just in time to be put on repeat this fall–my favorite songs from the album currently being “She Calls Me Back” and “Northern Attitude.” And you can check out our President Sarah’s article on the album here! Of course, I’ve also just been playing Midnights everyday since the album came out last month, and lately, I’ve been putting “Anti-Hero” and “The Great War” on repeat. Finally, I found the song “The Book Lovers” by Broadcast a couple months ago and have told everyone that it’s the perfect oddly eerie song for autumn. 

• Maria S ‘23 

One of my favorite collegiate experiences has been walking around Conn’s autumnal-accented campus as the leaves fall around me and my soundtrack plays in the background. I have a whole playlist dedicated to this season of life titled “Leaves Fall.” This playlist consists of a lot of Gilmore Girls related music: Sam Phillips, The LA’s, and Caamp. It helps me achieve my “Rory Gilmore in New England” fall aesthetic and gives me room to be mysterious.  However, my most favorite song right now is “Until We Get There” by Lucius or “ceilings” by Lizzy Mcalpine. Both of these songs have been on repeat for me, and have gotten me through this questionable fall weather. Finally, my favorite song of the month is “Close Your Eyes” by the Backseat Lovers; I can’t recommend it enough!

• Meredith Harper ‘24

An album I think is really great for this time of year that I’ve been listening to a lot is Sling by Clairo. When this album came out, I had it on repeat, and now I find myself returning to it a lot, especially during the autumn season. My particular favorites are “Reaper,” “Harbor,” and “Little Changes,” but I feel like this album has such a cohesive sound that any song is perfect for this time of year. Additionally, I’ve been listening to The 1975’s new album Being Funny in a Foreign Language non-stop (read Caitlin Boyd’s article about it and then give it a listen, please). After seeing them live last week, I am even more obsessed with this album, and also just becoming re-obsessed with their discography. My personal recommendations from BFIAFL are “Wintering,” “When We Are Together,” “The 1975,” and “About You” (that last one will change your life). 

-Hannah Grinnell ‘24

I have been listening to one particular song on repeat for the past few weeks since recently discovering it: “orange show speedway” by Lizzy McAlpine. I first heard this song at Conn’s Halloween a cappella concert-challenge where each a capella group sang a song that had a color in the title. After hearing the ConnArtists perform “orange show speedway,” I became fixated on it and have been listening to it whenever I walk around campus, get ready for the day, and while I do homework. Lizzy McAlpine has a great voice and I love how nostalgic the lyrics are in contrast to the upbeat sound of the song.

• Sarah Hennig ‘24

My mind has been whirling all week trying to decide which song(s) to write about in this lovely group article. As someone who is constantly, and I mean 24/7, listening to music, I have a hard time choosing a favorite. However, a couple of days ago, I saw this TikTok from @banksnowitzki of the creator dramatically acting out the story that Michael Jackson eloquently conveys in his song “Dirty Diana.” The acting, dancing, and editing of this short video has lived rent-free in my mind ever since. That song is now on constant repeat. There’s nothing quite like confusing the Spotify algorithm right before Spotify-Wrapped is released!

An honorable, and more serious, mention is “The Trouble With Poets” by Peter Mulvey, which is definitely one of my favorite songs that I’ve discovered this year.

• Lara Beckius ‘24
@banksnowitzki

Shorty had mike stressed tf out 😂 #dirtydiana

♬ Dirty Diana – Michael Jackson
Lara is a senior at Connecticut College, where she is pursuing a double major in environmental studies and economics with a minor in dance. Her interests include choreography, sustainability, the performing arts, and conservation.