This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

I love buying new makeup, trying new makeup, and watching YouTube hauls and reviews about makeup. What I don’t love? Trying to figure out what makeup will or won’t work with my oily skin.  After years of constantly buying and throwing out products, I’ve come up with some tips for combating oily makeup mishaps.

1. For me personally, my nose is always the root of my frustration. Between oil and big pores, I have a hard time getting the foundation to set and stay all day. A short-term hack is to set the bare skin with setting powder before even applying foundation. Need your makeup to look matte all night? Try using Urban Decay Primer Potion to fill in pores and stay oil-free underneath concealer and foundation.

2. I always thought that having oily and acne prone skin meant that I need FULL coverage foundation. Looking back at photos, I always looked greasy and overdone. With a whole new category of matte foundations in a full range of coverages out on the market, don’t be afraid to try the ‘less is more’ approach. Right now I am loving the It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC+ Cream Oil-Free Matte with SPF 40 in the shade Fair Light.

3. Finding your favorite setting powder could take months. Some might make your skin look too dry, not matte enough, ghostly white in photos, or melt right off at the first sign of tears, rain, or water. This is why I have three different powders for three different needs. Going to the pool or beach? Use Urban Decay’s new All Nighter Waterproof Setting Powder. Getting professional photos done or going out with friends? Perfect Light Pressed Powder by No. 7 never fails me and always looks nice and bright, without being too white in photos. Need an everyday powder for on the go? Browse the sample section at Ulta or Sephora to find the best trial size.

4. Another common misconception is that those with oily skin don’t need to moisturize. This could not be further from the truth. To give your skin the moisture it needs without getting greasy or clogging your pores, try a gel-based moisturizer like the SkinActive Moisture Rescue by Garnier. Ready to splurge? Run to Sephora and pick up Volcasmic by Glam Glow. This moisturizer is the perfect amount of moisturizing and mattifying all in one AND it smells amazing.

5. The last tip for combatting oily skin is to nail down the perfect skin regimen for you. My regimen consists of Neutrogena oil-free cleanser, Thayers Witch Hazel Astringent Pads, Garnier SkinActive Moisture Rescue Face Moisturizer for combination skin and the Boscia Charcoal Pore Pudding Intensive Wash-off Treatment one day a week.

Tried any of these tips or know any that we missed? Let us know by tagging us on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram!

I am a sophomore at Connecticut College studying sociology in hopes of becoming a journalist/activist.
Her Campus Conn Coll