New on Campus: CONNsignment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Looking for a way to upgrade your wardrobe? Better yet, looking for a way to make some extra money on campus? CONNsignment is a student-run business that gives students the opportunity to buy, sell, and trade their clothing right here at Conn.

Two Conn Coll students, Madeline McHale ‘17 and Julie Lesniak ‘17, recently launched “CONNsignment,” an on-campus business that follows the model of your local consignment shop. McHale and Lesniak will be hosting trunk shows throughout the semester where students can drop off clothes that they would “rather share than wear.” Meanwhile, students can also browse the inventory for themselves! In other words, as McHale explained, “Our concept is to have students bring clothing to one of our trunk shows, and then we will sell it for a reasonable price. We return a percentage of the profit to the supplier.”

The consignment model not only provides students with a new (yet inexpensive) way to acquire new clothing and accessories, but also it lends the opportunity to make some extra cash, leaving everyone happy. Lesniak said,  “We were inspired to get do something on campus in a way that would be beneficial to everyone involved.”

Lesniak and McHale agree that the process of launching CONNsignment has been an exciting learning experience for the both of them. “It has strengthened our relationship, and relationships with others so far, and we hope to continue that process,” said McHale. McHale also noted that CONNsignment is a project completely separate from either of their academic interests (McHale is a sociology major, dance minor, and PICA scholar, while Lesniak is a psychology major and dance minor). Thus, they have learned a lot about “how to juggle priorities and distribute responsibilities,” said Lesniak.

(Left: McHale, Right: Lesniak)

CONNsignment’s first trunk show will be on Thursday, October 29th, from 2:30 to 4:30 in Cro. Stop by, bring some old clothing that you are interested in selling, and browse the current inventory!

Check out their Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/CONNsignment-929772640433180/

Danielle Kaplan is a senior from from Westwood, MA, studying economics and dance at Connecticut College. She is the in-house designer and Instagram contributor for Her Campus Conn Coll. In addition to Her Campus, Danielle spends most of her time rehearsing for several on-campus dance performances. Following graduation, she hopes to work for a non-profit organization related to incarceration and/or at-risk youth. But most of all, Danielle's true passions lie in avocados, dark chocolate, and cereal.
Her Campus Conn Coll