This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

By now, we’ve all heard that Taylor Swift will be dropping a new album on April 19, The Tortured Poets Department. I truly do not understand how she writes and produces songs so quickly, but I am forever grateful for her abundance of content. I am insanely excited for this new album. The artwork, title, tracklist, and overall vibe makes me think it’s going to include some heart wrenching lyrics, which is my favorite genre of music! As a result of my overall excitement, I’m going to share with you my thoughts on the recently revealed tracklist. I will be ranking the list from songs I’m most excited to hear (based on their titles) to songs I am least excited to hear (although I am excited for all of them!). 

“The Tortured Poets Department”: I love title tracks! We don’t always get title tracks with Taylor albums, and this is one of my favorite album titles, so I’m extra excited to hear this. 

“The Smallest Man Who Ever Lived”: This is a crazy bar. I don’t think any further explanation is needed. 

“So Long, London”: This is going to be absolutely feral. I can’t help but think of Reneé Rapp’s song “I Hate Boston,” and I wonder if this song will share a similar theme. 

“My Boy Only Breaks His Favorite Toys”: I love sad songs, and this sounds incredibly sad. 

“But Daddy I Love Him”: I’m really excited about this one. A lot of people have been suggesting it could relate to the Little Mermaid, as this is a line Ariel says to King Triton. Personally, I’m reminded more of “All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version) (From the Vault)” when Taylor’s father tells her “It’s supposed to be fun turning twenty-one.”

“Down Bad”: This sounds like something a middle school boy would title a song, and I am so very curious to see what she does with it. 

“I Can Fix Him (No Really I Can)”: Poor Taylor has fallen for the “I can fix him” trap. Classic mistake.

“Clara Bow”: From my minimal research, I have gathered that Clara Bow was a famous actress who retired from the craft. Her story reminds me a bit of “The Lucky One.” I think this could be a really beautiful piece about fame. 

“Fortnight” (feat Post Malone): I’m most intrigued about the collaboration with Post Malone. Knowing his common genre of rap, I’m wondering what this reveals about the overall sound of the album. Although, Post Malone knows no bounds, seeing as he did a great collaboration with Noah Kahan. I also believe this is the first time Taylor has opened an album with a feature, and I’m excited to see why she made that choice. 

“The Alchemy”: Alchemy makes me think of magic, so I’m seeing this as whimsical. I’m imagining a kind of “Willow” vibe. The word “The” is important to note. It’s not just alchemy in general; it’s specific.

“I Can Do It with a Broken Heart”: This sounds so sad but also empowering! I feel like maybe this could be in regards to how she was able to give such strong performances at the Eras Tour while dealing with her personal life. 

“Florida!!!” (feat Florence and the Machine): Fans have speculated that this song could be about her Eras Tour performances in Florida. Other than that, I do not know what Florida could have done to deserve a Taylor Swift song written about it.

“Guilty as Sin?”: The question mark is really intriguing me with this one. Why is it phrased as a question? Is she asking if something she has done is guilty as sin?

“Fresh Out the Slammer”: This is giving Reputation vibes.

“Who’s Afraid of Little Old Me?”: Okay Virginia Wolfe!

“Loml”: This is either going to be adorable or extremely depressing. I wonder if the abbreviation will actually be for “love of my life” or if Taylor will surprise us and do something different.

Bonus Track: “The Manuscript”: I love a good bonus track. 

There is my ranking that nobody asked for. Please keep in mind that even the songs on the lower end of the ranking are songs I am deeply enthused about. Maybe when the new album drops, I will do another ranking that nobody asked for based on the actual music!

Allie Ziegler

Conn Coll '27

Allie (she/her) is a freshman at Connecticut College and plans to double major in Theater and Educational Studies. Outside of HerCampus, she is on the executive board for Wig & Candle and participates in Student Activities Council. In her free time, she loves reading, crocheting, listening to music, and hanging out with friends!