My Favorite Winter Cafe Drinks and How to Make Them!

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.
  1. Eggnog latte: Eggnog is definitely something you either love or hate, but I have always been a big fan of it (though I typically opt for lower fat eggnog purely because I dislike the texture of it when it is too thick). 

My Ingredients:

• Eggnog (cold or frothed hot)
  • Two shots of espresso
  • Sprinkle of cinnamon 

When I make this iced, like with any iced latte, I combine the espresso and milk 

(or in this case, eggnog) before pouring the mixture over ice to avoid watering the drink down. For a hot drink, steamed eggnog is the way to go. 

1. Maple fog: This is a drink I first had in Nova Scotia, where much of my family originally came from and where I have been going my entire life. I was far too young, at the time, to have the drink with the espresso I now make it with, though as a result, I can solidly recommend it with just maple and milk if you do not enjoy coffee. 

My Ingredients: 

• Milk of choice, steamed (I use oat, as I cannot have dairy, but dairy works just as well) 
  • Maple syrup (I use about a tablespoon–real maple syrup is a must)
  • Two shots of espresso
  1. Peppermint mocha: I love a good peppermint mocha, but I am particular about how to make it. Honestly, I just love mint and chocolate!

My Ingredients:

• Milk of choice (cold or steamed)
  • Chocolate syrup
  • Peppermint syrup or peppermint candy
  • Two shots of espresso

When I make an iced mocha in particular, I make sure to put the chocolate syrup in with the hot espresso and mix that together before adding the milk. Once that is mixed, I add the milk and stir before pouring over ice. If using peppermint candy, I recommend melting it into the espresso/chocolate before pouring it into milk. 

1. Peppermint hot chocolate: Look, I understand that this is not a hard drink to make, but it is just a classic! 

My Ingredients: 

• Hot chocolate mix (I make my own with a mix of cocoa powder and sugar)
  • Milk of choice, frothed
  • Candy cane or peppermint candy
  • Hershey kiss (optional)

Personally, I enjoy waiting for the peppermint to melt somewhat into the drink. I also enjoy melting a hershey kiss into the hot chocolate, though I don’t do it often. 

1. Sugar cookie latte: I came up with this one after having several versions at coffee shops. I personally do not like to make my lattes too sweet, so feel free to add more syrup if you prefer. 

My Ingredients:

• Two shots of espresso
  • Milk of choice (I recommend oat or almond)
  • Splash of vanilla syrup/one pump
  • Small splash of caramel syrup/half a pump
  • Sprinkle of cinnamon
Caroline Snyder is a sophomore at Connecticut College who is double majoring in English and Environmental Studies! She is also on the rowing team, runs events for Conn's Her Campus chapter, is on the education task force in the Office of Sexual Violence Prevention, and works in the college's archives, among other things. She loves writing, reading, her cat, dinosaurs, working out, and sustainability.