Meet the Class Council of 2018!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

After nominations, campaigning and speeches, the freshmen class voted on their class council representatives a week ago. Congratulations to all the new members of SGA! Here’s a look at who won! 

President: 

Josh Lee 

Hometown: Short Hills, New Jersey

Prospective Major: Environmental studies and government 

Other Involvement at Conn: I’m in 1 in 4, and I work with OVCS in Riverside park frequently.

How has the first month been? It hasn’t been too bad, nothing shocking, obviously apart from being elected- that’s been the highlight.

Any immediate plans for office? It’s the voice of the people type of governing, so it depends on what everyone else wants done on campus. I’d like more sustainability stuff, like a more visible composting program and more hand dryers, as well as some more outreach stuff like GPS in the Camel Vans, Harry’s Taxi discounts, and milkshakes in Cro.

Why did you run for President? I mean frankly, because people recommended I do it, and wanted to get involved in SGA because main reason I came to Conn was the student government system, and I thought it would a good experience.

Platform: I want to make us a more connected community within the 4 classes and New London, and to be cohesive community that shares the same the space and takes care of it.

Vice President: 

Max Becker

Hometown: Orlando, Florida

Prospective Major: I have absolutely no idea, I’m the definition of undecided. I like math, philosophy, and political science though.  

Other Involvement: I’m involved in club soccer, club volleyball, along with Relay for Life and Habitat for Humanity. 

How has the first month been? It’s been pretty good, It’s interesting feeling out the social scene here, you know, it’s different than how it’s portrayed in the movies, no frat house- but I like that. It feels like everyone wants to be each others friend which is so cool, everyone wants everyone else to do well.

Why did you run for Vice President? Definitely the same reason why I’ve liked Conn for these first 3 weeks, the whole community feel. I got that vibe when I visited, and I just really liked that and wanted to be a part of that. It’s a philosophy I want to continue to promote and I thought going into SGA would be a good way to do that. 

Any immediate plans for office? One thing I really wanted to focus on is the lack of awareness of paper recycling on campus. It’s a ton of waste that we can reduce. 

Platform: I want to be a part of the process that brings the power to the people.

Social Chair:

Shaniqua Shaw

Hometown: Worcester, Massachusetts

Possible Major: Government

Other Involvement: Women’s Basketball, Freshman Rep for UMOJA, Law Society, Amnesty International

How has the first month been? It’s been great! I love meeting new people and I’ve been doing just that. My classes have been especially interesting so I am enjoying the work- especially in SocioCultural Anthropology. 

Why did you run for Social Chair? I ran because I am a sociable person. I think I can use my social skills to really connect with my classmates and gather their input and feedback about the social activity here on campus.

Platform: I hope to really create a tight knit freshman class. After all, this year is the foundation of what our class will be like when we are seniors. I plan to do this by having bi-weekly socials and freshman dances to create an atmosphere where we will be able to bond as a class.

SAC Representative:

Scott Dwyer

Hometown: Hadley, Massachusetts 

Prospective Major: Kind of going on the environmental science track

Other Involvement: I’m part of the Crew team; it’s been a great athletic outlet. 

How has the first month been? It’s been going very well, I’ve had a pretty smooth transition into college. I love going out and doing some fun stuff with a lot of good people. 

Why did you run for SAC Representative? I really think it’s important to get involved on campus, it gives you a closer connection to the school. I wanted to do SAC because that’s something I care a lot about, I like getting excited for activities and anytime you can get a good group of people together. 

Platform: I want to get input from the entire class of 2018, I think that’s particularly important because of all the different interests. Send me messages, let me know what kind of stuff you want to do so I can take that information and see what we can do with it. 

Honor Council Representatives:

Marta Fernandez

Hometown: Valencia, Spain, but when I was 15, I moved to Italy, near Venice, to study because I got a scholarship for the United World College of the Adriatic. 

Prospective Major: International relations and theater

Other Involvement: Ballet dance club, Fusion, and ATLAS  

How has the first month been? It has been very exciting, I’ve been able to meet people who are so interesting. It’s fantastic that everyone is so caring and friendly. 

Why did you run for Honor Council Representative? I knew that I wanted to be involved in SGA because it was one of the reasons that I chose Conn. Even if I hadn’t gotten the position I would have done something for it. I chose Honor Council because I think there always has to be someone taking care of the community, and of how the members of the community trust each other. 

Platform: I really want to this to be our community, and our home, for the next 4 years, and I want everyone to able to trust each other. 

Aidan Cort

Hometown: Wellesley, Massachusetts 

Prospective Major: Government or sociology

Other Involvement: Track and field, indoor and outdoor

How has the first month been? It’s still a little overwhelming, but it’s getting more and more normal each day as your recognize more and more people. The highlight would definitely be winning Honor Council representative.

Why did you run for Honor Council Representative? I wanted to be involved, I was involved in my high school in student government, and Honor Council spoke to me because of the whole debating aspect and fighting for what is right. The honor code drew me to Connecticut College in the first place. 

Platform: I think self-regulation is really important, and that students be the ones who step in to stop an act before it happens. Students should know that they shouldn’t just stand by and let something bad happen, even with the smallest of violations.

Patrick Farrell 

Hometown: Smithtown, NY

Prospective Major: Economics

Other Involvement: I’m on the tennis team

How has the first month been? Time management has definitely been challenging with tennis and all the work. It’s just getting used to having a little free time and managing it, and having to focus a lot.

Why did you run for Honor Council Representative? I’ve always been an honest person and I have a big conscious. Morally I’m always thinking of consequences, and I really liked the concept of the honor code, how everyone respected each other. I thought Honor Council would be good because then you could control what’s going to happen to people who haven’t followed the honor code. 

Platform: I’m an honest, humble and trustworthy guy who cares about the community, respecting each other, and doing the right thing. 

Ethan Hecker

Hometown: Wayland, Mass

Prospective Major: Mathematics, but it’s tentative

Other Involvement: I’m on the tennis team, I didn’t make it to club fair but I want to join other things as well. 

How has the first month been? Pretty good, it’s too soon to really draw conclusions. People are really friendly.

Why did you run for Honor Council Representative? I was definitely interested in running for something, I did student government in high school and appreciated being part of decision making but it wasn’t as extensive as it is here.  I chose Honor Council because I have a good sense of what is fair in a situation, so I figured I would be a good candidate.

Platform: I want to serve as a voice for our class, and I have a very strong sense of fairness and am interested in helping maintain a sense of community.

Her Campus Conn Coll