This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Ever dreamed of creating your own business or clothing line? As a competitive sailor and talented artist Kearsley Lloyd, owner of Tipsy Skipper, made this dream into her reality! Tipsy Skipper is an American-made company featuring footwear, handbags, accessories, and more, in bright whimsical colors and patterns. Housed in Westerly, RI (only 25 mins away from Conn!), Tipsy Skipper is now shipping products all over the country! Kearsley fills us in on her past experiences as an intern, the steps to becoming a successful entrepenuer, and her favorite product! 

We are thrilled to announce Tipsy Skipper has offered Conn students a 10% discount to celebrate the Holiday Bazaar (use the code: HERCAMPUSCONN) on her new Camel Clutch through the weekend! Check out Tipsy Skipper‘s products and to learn more about Kearsley Lloyd! 

What were some of your jobs and internships during and after college? How did your past professional experiences further your current career?

I majored in Graphic Design at the Rhode Island School of Design and my company grew out of a senior project in college – I created a marketable brand, Tipsy Skipper, and turned it into reality after graduating in 2010. Prior to graduation, I interned in the design departments of Vineyard Vines and Lilly Pulitzer, both of which were wonderful experiences.  It was invaluable for me to see how two similar companies operated quite differently and to get an immersion in a ‘real world’ design environment.

What were the first steps you took in starting your own business?

The first step was identifying a limited number of products I could afford to offer my customers. My college project had included a broad range of prototype products featuring my print designs – everything from home goods to clothing. I used my friends and classmates to test market them, which helped to narrow down the products with the greatest appeal.  I began with a couple of accessories and just pounded pavement and cold-called manufacturers to see who would do private-label work. The importance of building networks and reaching out to fellow entrepreneurs cannot be understated.  It’s important to build and maximize links with other companies and reach out to other entrepreneurs for advice.

What advice would you give to young entrepreneurs?

Most importantly, find something you are absolutely passionate about – something that you absolutely adore.  You won’t be good at promoting a product or business you don’t personally love, and there’s nothing better than earning a living doing what excites you.  Always pay attention to your gut instincts, but also get as much advice as you can from experienced entrepreneurs and successful business owners. If you are willing to learn from others’ mistakes, you’ll make fewer of your own.

Were you ever discouraged from pursuing your dream?

Yes, there are always naysayers who throw cold water on your plans or dwell on the reasons something cannot be done, but you can’t afford negativity when you’re an entrepreneur! From the beginning, I was determined to manufacture all Tipsy Skipper products in the USA. It’s very difficult to find factories that produce domestically, and some manufacturers aren’t willing to work with a small business when bigger customers place far larger orders. Also, some products simply are not manufactured in the States, which can certainly limit a product line. However, I have been fortunate to have found a number of American manufacturers and craftspeople who are willing and eager to work with me – many are great people who want to help a young entrepreneur succeed and understand that she may, at some point, be a major client.  You can’t allow yourself to become discouraged because any day can be a game changer.

Who or what has inspired your designs for Tipsy Skipper?

I’m inspired by nature, particularly the seashore and nautical themes.  However, I’m most concerned with COLOR!  I have my favorites among designers and illustrators, and their work often gives me ideas for my own.  Also, I’m always snapping photos with my phone of things I find inspirational – from the patterns in a tile floor, to a coastal scene.  

Lastly, what is your favorite clutch and why?

That’s a tough question…. If I had to choose one, however, I think I’d have to say ‘Go Fish’ is my favorite – interestingly, it was my first fabric print and has really evolved into Tipsy Skipper’s ‘signature’ design.  It’s a highly versatile theme that almost always coordinates with my outfits! I practically live in navy blue, and I love the combination of navy and kelly green.  “Go Fish” has been a top-seller, so it seems that a lot of people agree! 

Kearsley’s favorite clutch:

‘Go Fish’ Clutch

The girls of Her Campus love this clutch! Purchase your Camel clutch now with a 10% discount! Use the code HERCAMPUSCONN when purchasing.

Some of our other favorites! If you love these, you will love all of the products from Tipsy Skipper at the Holiday Bazaar this Friday! 

‘That’s A Cro’ in Aqua, Cosmetic Bag

‘Petal to the Metal’ Tote Bag

‘Tipsy Trunks’ Tipsy Toes 

‘Pinch Me’ Key Fob

Don’t forget to stop by the Her Campus Holiday Bazaar, Friday December 6th from 11:30-5:00! Happy Shopping!

My name is Alex Breakstone and I am a current sophomore at Connecticut College, majoring in English. I love writing and am thrilled to be writing for Her Campus! One of my favorite books is The Great Gatsby, by F.S. Fitzgerald and I am obsessed with the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's (what girl isn't!). A fun fact is that I collect rubber ducks, all different shapes and sizes (I am now reaching over 60!).
Her Campus Conn Coll