The Latest in Finger Painting: Nail Art Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Looking for a fun study break? Get creative and create your own nail style! Whether it’s a bold OPI color or a wild pattern, spice up your outfit with a new nail technique, because let’s face it: your nails can either make or break your outfit.

According to Elle’s September 2012 issue, “from nude polish to 3-D art, fall fashion runways prove that for nails, anything goes this season,” so go crazy ladies! To give a brief history of nail art, when nail polish was first invented, the colors ranged from clear, red, pink, and brown. Since then, the nail polish industry has tremendously grown with many new colors and techniques. To prove this evolution, Allure’s September 2012 issue featured a timeline of nail styles throughout history, going all the way back to ancient Egypt. Fun fact: women in ancient Egypt dyed their fingertips with henna to show their social status and sex appeal. To learn more about the history of nails, go to www.nailsmag.com. Check out their elaborate Halloween ideas!

Just like starting a new fashion trend, it can be hard finding a new nail style that works for you. Your nails should not only add a pop of color to improve your outfit but also reflect your personality. My nail style tends to stick with more natural colors, however every now and then I like to paint my nails a fun turquoise color or a bold magenta. But if you like to take more risks with your nails and need inspiration, check out these new styles from girls at Conn!

“First, paint a light base color. Then pick three colors to go over it. Grab three coffee stirrers or really skinny straws. Paint over the tip of the stray until a slight film covers the hole. It’s kind of like a bubble wand where you want to cover the entire hole so a bubble can form. Finally, hold the straw directly above your nails and blow sharply into it. It should leave a splatter paint design. Repeat with all three colors until you achieve the look you want.” – Jocelyn Kratzert ’15

“I painted the whole nail with two coats of the pale color, then I painted half with the medium shade, and did a strip of the dark shade down the connecting part. Definitely had to try a few times to get the hang of it, but had fun doing it!” – Bettina Weiss ’15

“I usually do all my nails one color, then, in another color I do tips and then a design on my thumb.I don’t usually try to do anything too elaborate because I wouldn’t want to have to start over if I messed it up.
 For the tips, after I make sure 2 coats of the base paint is dry, I paint a little on the tip to get the width, then roll my finger nail under the brush to it goes on smoothly and evenly. Make sure not touse too much paint.For my thumbs, this time I did hearts, and that was as simple as doing two strokes in a V.” – Paige McClatchy ’13

If these new techniques don’t fit your personality, you can always take them off and try something else, that’s the beauty of fashion!

If you have a creative nail technique you’d like to share, we would love to show it off! Send a picture and explanation to bettinaweiss@hercampus.com and we’ll post a collection!

First photo taken by Lauren Shaker ’15

I am a junior and a Campus Correspondent for Connecticut College! I am majoring in American Studies and a PICA scholar. I was a High School Ambassador for HerCampus in 2010-2011 and a contibuting writer 2011-2012. I love writing, editing, and social media. This fall, I am a Student Coordinator for the Women's Center, a photographer for College Relations, and am also a member of SafetyNet. When I'm not writing, I love being outside and enjoy many many different types of music. I also enjoy shopping at the Container Store, sharpie markers, thunderstorms, onesies, Gilmore Girls, The Newsroom, New Girl, 60 Minutes, and The West Wing.