This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

A photo of La Voz Latinx members Cecilia Estevez (on the left) and Naomi Quelal in the DACA New York City protest

On September 5th, President Donald Trump rescinded DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals). A program which protects children from deportation that were brought to the United States when they were young. The common interest housing group La Voz Latinx is passionate about this controversial topic and we wanted to share our personal thoughts, DACA protest reactions, and everything in between. We hope to further educate and bring awareness to the campus community not only the politics behind DACA but also about Dreamers and their stories. The topic of DACA is very personal to us and this is WHY DACA MATTERS: 

“I think the President’s attitude towards DACA is really disrespectful towards people that are fighting every day not only for a better life, but for a better country.”- Marcus Vinicius Pereira Pinto Jr.

“When I first heard the news about DACA I was shocked. DACA provides students with the opportunity to continue their education. Thousands of students have been given a chance to become successful, and no one should have the right to take that away. Education is the future and should not be limited solely on citizenship.” – Paula Torres

“Going to the DACA protest was an experience of many first times. It was the first time I took an active role in organizing a protest and it was also the first time I went to Boston. The Boston DACA protest was empowering and motivational. It was empowering to see and hear the speakers at the rally. I was also motivated by the amount of people that came out to support this cause! It was amazing to be part of the march!” – Paloma Camarena

“DACA means an opportunity for friends and family to prosper, resist, and accomplish what others have yet to finish. Without it, we are cheating our way out of a bright future for all DACA recipients and our nation.” – Cecilia Estevez

“To eliminate DACA is to eliminate life chances for underprivileged individuals that are already oppressed and marginalized. It is dehumanizing and unethical.” – Naomi Quelal

“I thought the Trump administration’s decision to pull the DACA program was ugly, short-sighted, ill-willed, and just confusing when you look back at their earlier statements about the fate of the program. Pulling the program because it was “executive oversight” is a real treat coming from an administration that has failed on nearly every major policy it promised and has relied on executive orders to get things done. I just hope Congress can pass a reasonable, just decision soon; I know I’ll be standing with dreamers every step of the way.”- Mariel Ozoria

Some members of La Voz Latinx repping DIEI (Division of Institutional and Equity and Inclusion) staff shirts 

Viangely Asencio

Conn Coll '20

A senior at Connecticut College from Miami. Triple majoring in Sociology, Government, and Italian Studies. Competitive eater and part-time pianist. Passionate about topics in race and ethnicity and The Simpsons.
Her Campus Conn Coll