I Found a New Song Every Day in February: Here’s What I Discovered

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

While writing the article “The Best Ways to Find New Music” at the end of January, I vowed to find a new song—one that I had never heard before—every day for the month of February. This playlist is the result:

To be completely honest, the playlist turned out a lot cooler than I expected. It features songs from a wide variety of genres, catapulting through different vibes, while simultaneously staying true to my music taste. What is my music taste, you might ask? I like to say: Anything you can dance to.

I used a variety of methods, as discussed in my previous article, to find these songs: I found already created playlists that fit the mood I was looking for (like “feral productivity”), let Spotify roll until it played a song I just had to listen to again, scrolled through TikTok to discover newly released music, and Shazam-ed like crazy during the Winter Olympics figure skating competitions. 

Despite the chaotic techniques I used to discover songs that tickled my brain just right, the result was a cohesive playlist that can be shuffled, or played in order, to fill my musical cravings for the next few months. 

Out of the 28 songs in 28 days, here is an analysis of my top five:

#5 “still feel.” by half•alive

“still feel.” was the first song I discovered in February, and it provided the perfect inspiration to continue this challenge. It has a deep, but peppy vibe that puts a bounce in my step as I walk across the college green. It makes me want to groove with its complex rhythms, catchy baseline, and nifty horn section. I couldn’t have asked for a better song to start the month.

#4 “Midsection” by KAYTRANDA ft. Pharrell Williams

I am simply perplexed how the writer of this song came up with so many rhymes for the word “midsection.” With Kaytranada’s production and Pharrell Williams’ amazing voice, this song is sure to get you up and dancing in no time. The modern-disco vibes and the clever lyrics put a smile on my face every time this song comes up on Spotify.

#3 “Hot Tears” by Leif Vollebekk

“Hot Tears” was my song of the day on February 28—the perfect wrap-up to this challenge. This song exquisitely captures the feeling of walking outside at dusk on a warm, summer night. It has a melancholy feel, but the melody sinks deep into your chest as the jazzy chord progression wraps through your head, and I can’t help but feel calmed and refreshed. The tune, as a whole, is beautifully written, and Vollebekk’s voice has elevated this song to one of my favorites of all time. 

#2 “Breathe” by Alexi Murdoch

It took three seconds of listening to this song for me to fall in love. I immediately added it to several other playlists and sent it to my mom. The instrumentation is perfect, the vocals are exquisite, and the message, “Don’t forget to breathe,” is one I’ve definitely needed to hear these past few weeks. I don’t know how I managed without this song prior to February 11, 2022.

#1 “Never Tear Us Apart” by Joe Cocker

This cover of the top-charting INXS song “Never Tear Us Apart” gives the tune a bluesy, orchestral feel that is calming, but energizing at the same time. I discovered Joe Cocker’s version while watching Canadian skater Keegan Messing’s short program performance in the 2022 Beijing Olympics Men’s Singles Skating competition. I have listened to it at least once a day since then. The song fills me with love, joy, and ambition, and I just can’t seem to get enough.

The remaining 23 songs are absolutely amazing, and I highly recommend you check them all out. I hope these two articles inspire you to discover songs you have never heard before, whether released in 2022 or 1922. Happy listening!

Lara is a senior at Connecticut College, where she is pursuing a double major in environmental studies and economics with a minor in dance. Her interests include choreography, sustainability, the performing arts, and conservation.