This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

It’s winter. It’s cold. It’s dark outside. And somehow, my playlists keep spitting up the same songs over, and over, and over again. It’s time for a change. 

Falling into the same pattern of songs can be super easy, especially when life gets busy. However, finding songs for your new mixtape may not be as hard as it seems. Here are some of my favorite methods of switching up the vibe and finding zesty new tunes:

Spotify Shuffle

Lucky for Spotify users, an exciting way to find new music is built right into the app’s algorithm. Just choose one song you’ve been playing on repeat, type it in the search bar, give it a click, and let the time bar run its course. After the song ends, Spotify takes over and plays songs that are similar, based on what you and other users are listening to. Letting the app chug out songs is one of the best ways to discover tracks that are similar to the ones you already like. 

If this method isn’t doing the trick, search your favorite song again, then click the “Playlists” tab. Chances are, there are several already-made playlists with that song that include a plethora of others you’ve never heard of. This is a perfect way to fill your musical craving. 

Search a Feeling

If you’re stuck articulating exactly what kind of new music you are looking for, try searching for a feeling or a vibe in whatever music platform you use. A playlist called “Feeling Sad” or “Excited Living Life Vibes” can have gems that are sure to add some flavor to your personal playlists. You can even search for a favorite book or TV show character and playlists fitting their vibe will pop up all over the place. 

TV Shows

Movie soundtracks are all the rage these days but, as it turns out, TV shows have a diverse set of background melodies as well. If there’s a show you particularly like, try digging through the album and clicking on the songs you’ve never heard of before. The tune that faded into the background during an extra dramatic scene may turn out to be one of your favorites. 

Or maybe, you heard a song in an episode that you would love to find, but don’t know the name or any of the lyrics. Luckily, there are websites, like tunefind, that track down these songs for you. A quick Google search like “Dynasty, season 4, episode 8 songs” should do the trick. 

Check the Charts

Sometimes, the best way to find new music is to check out recent releases. After all, if millions of people are streaming a song, chances are you may like it too. iTunes does a great job of keeping track of today’s top hits, split into categories by genre, and Billboard is always a go-to. Additionally, Spotify does a great job of updating its “Charts” section, and YouTube’s “Music Channel” category always sends the best hits straight to the top. The death of the radio is no excuse to miss any new drops.

Social Media

In the 2020s, social media has taken center stage on the music scene. 15-second videos can propel unknown songwriters into stardom, and songs released in the ‘60s can climb to the top ten. If you’re bored, scroll through an app like TikTok, and you’re bound to discover a song that is perfect for your new playlist. 

Last week, as I gazed out my window at two feet of snow, listening to my stale playlists, I pledged to find a new song every day in the month of February. So far, it’s been an incredibly fun and meditative journey. Go ahead and try it!

To get you started, here are some of the songs I’ve had on repeat for the last month:

My Favorite Songs Right Now

Reminiscing” – Little River Band

Shadow Dancing” – Andy Gibb

Wild” – John Legend and Gary Clark Jr. 

Chemicals” – Peking Duk

Notorious” – Duran Duran

Leave Me Alone” – Michael Jackson

Take Me Higher” – Robin Thicke

Happy listening!

Lara is a senior at Connecticut College, where she is pursuing a double major in environmental studies and economics with a minor in dance. Her interests include choreography, sustainability, the performing arts, and conservation.