This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Each week, I will contribute an article to my food column: College Cooking, where I will share recipes and opinions on food trends and culture. To see more of what I like to cook and bake, check out my personal food Instagram at @healthy_eclair

I love sandwiches. The savory pop of flavor between two pieces of bread, toasted or not, is my ideal lunch. While I was known to have a basic turkey and cheese sandwich on marble rye bread in middle and high school, I have expanded my repertoire in college. In a normal academic year, I would be a slut for toasted cranberry walnut bread from JA, delicious when paired with turkey for that Thanksgiving leftovers experience. 

However, I have discovered a new combo that introduces a pop of sweet with sliced apples with that classic turkey, lettuce, and tomato crunch. Read on for an easy sandwich you can prepare with items from the dining halls.

First things first, get that bread

Although a ciabatta roll brings this sandwich to the next level, I have also enjoyed it between two slices of whole wheat, seeded, and rye bread. So, grab whatever the dining hall has to offer that day or your personal favorite.

Are you a mustard or mayo type of person?

So, I have prepared this sandwich with mustard and mayo, but I find the former tastes best. I always keep a bunch of packets of mustard from the dining hall in my room so I am always prepared.

And of course the turkey and cheese

If you are vegetarian, you could skip the turkey and just stick with the cheese, or if you are dairy-free like me, you can pick up a pack of Violife provolone cheese from Fiddleheads Co-op (@fiddleheads.food.coop) in New London.

Eat your veggies!

I love to toss some mixed lettuce on my sandwiches, usually with sliced grape tomatoes and red onions if I want an extra kick of flavor.

Now for the fruit…

Okay, now this may seem strange, but cutting a red apple in thin slices to stack on top of this sandwich is a GAME CHANGER. The crisp crunch is like none another, and I love to snack on the remaining slices with some carrot sticks on the side, as well.

And that’s that! Now your sandwich is ready, so cut it (diagonally) in half and enjoy.

Elizabeth Berry

Conn Coll '21

Elizabeth Berry is an English and Italian Studies double major at Connecticut College with a passion for journalism. She enjoys overnight oats, traveling to new cities, and reading the night away.
Her Campus Conn Coll