This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Being sick in college is NOT fun. There are no parents to bring you tea, or even the comfort of your own couch. You can’t decide to stay home sick and miss a day’s worth of classes. College work doesn’t stop for anyone – regardless of illness. Here are some quick tips to manage being sick, especially during a busy time of the semester.

1. Accept that you won’t be able to complete your best work

As someone who oftentimes goes over the top to complete assignments and does readings well in advance, this was one of the hardest things to do while being sick. I knew that my splitting headache wouldn’t allow me to focus on a fifteen-page long government reading, so I read the introduction, conclusion, and all headings. This wasn’t ideal, but I knew that I would get a more in-depth discussion of the material in class and would, therefore, give myself ‘extra’ time to sleep. Definitely complete assignments with a pressing due date, but also know that it’s okay to take a break once and awhile. 

2. Get rest 

This one is pretty standard. Sleep is the most important time to recuperate from an illness. It is difficult to get adequate rest with nighttime activities and homework, but you can miss a meeting for a club or a rehearsal and still be okay. Personally, I chose to miss a night of Orchestra rehearsal. As disappointing and guilty as I felt, I knew that I had a perfectly valid reason not to go, and I took the time to rest and drink fluids. 

3. Extensions are real 

Before getting sick, I never asked professors for extensions on papers. I definitely pride myself on getting assignments in on time, and only for one extreme circumstance have I asked for an extension. However, illness is included in the college’s extension policy, and as long as you prove that you’ve been sick or talk to the professor they should be pretty understanding. 

4. Cough syrup/drops will be your best friend 

While I was sick and coughing my lungs out, I had multiple presentations and performances that I had to get through. I took a dose of daytime Robitussin in the morning, ate cough drops throughout the day, and took nighttime Robitussin before I went to sleep. This saved me at my flute recital.

5. Admit you aren’t feeling well

I usually don’t voice my feelings to my friends, but I found that letting them know that I was sick made my life so much easier both mentally and physically. They all felt for me, especially during in-class coughing fits, and they understood that I wasn’t going to be able to hang out and hold a conversation. Some even offered to bring me soup. I was able to focus solely on getting better and not on my social life. 

Sophmore from Brookfield, Connecticut (which is about two hours away from Conn). CISLA scholar, Anthropology major, intended hispanic studies minor. Outside of classes, she spend the majority of her time in a coffee shop or playing her flute.
Her Campus Conn Coll