How to Make the Most of Spring Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

The start of a new semester is an exciting, but often scary time. With the prospect of new classes, new opportunities and summer right around the corner, it’s easy to become boggled down by all the new responsibilities that come with a brand new semester. However, what many don’t realize is that a new semester is also a great opportunity to start fresh. Whether your goals are primarily academic, social, or somewhere in between these tips are sure to help you start the new year off right!

1. Make EVERY course count. Whether it’s simply counting towards a general education requirement or weighing as large as a course in your major, make the most of every class experience. Seek out time in the beginning of the semester to get to know your peers and feel free to stop by your professor’s office hours just to introduce yourself. Making a strong impression in the beginning of the semester will help you stand out in the crowd and will make every course, regardless of your interest in the subject, all the more meaningful.

2. Step outside of your social bubble. It can be scary when we’re so used to eating every meal, studying for every test, and going out every night with the same close friends we’ve known forever. However, as great as it is to have our best buds constantly by our side, it’s also important to branch out and meet new people. Broadening our social horizons allows us to have new experiences and see our day to day lives at school from a fresh new perspective. Of course, this doesn’t mean you have to shift your entire social circle. Small steps like joining a new club or chatting up someone new at a party can often make all the difference in freshening up the college experience.

3. Learn to manage your time (and stick with it). With the start of the semester, it can be overwhelming to make the transition from endless days of break in relaxation mode to a jam-packed college schedule. Although it can be challenging to get back into the cycle of schoolwork, make sure to plan out your time well and get your work in on time. If you’re having trouble focusing in your room, try studying in a fresh new place or seek out resources from the Academic Resource Center to support your time management and academic success.

4. Eat right. It’s a common known fact that many of us eat very differently while at school from at home. With tempting desserts available at every meal and the constant bombardment of junk food, it’s easy to succumb to the classic unhealthy college eating lifestyle. Make sure to fill your plate with fruits and veggies at every meal as well as yummy sources of protein to keep you satisfied and full of energy. That being said, there is no need to go crazy. Although it’s helpful to stay mindful of our food choices, a big scoop of ice cream on Sunday Sundae never killed anyone. Try to strike a healthy balance between nutritious eating and occasional indulgences.

5. Have fun!!!!! Sometimes it can be tricky to find time to relax amidst courses, homework, applications and extracurricular commitments. As hard as it may be, try to find the time just to relax and let go. Start a new show with your girlfriends to watch after a hard day of classes or finally start that book you’ve been wanting to read forever. Allot time every week to do something fun for yourself and make sure to make every moment count!
Her Campus Conn Coll