The Lalacheese Plate
The Lalacheese Plate
Her Campus Media

How to Make a Charcuterie Board from Dining Hall Items

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Each week, I will contribute an article to my food column: College Cooking, where I will share recipes and opinions on food trends and culture. To see more of what I like to cook and bake, check out my personal food Instagram at @healthy_eclair

I have always been a fan of what my mom and I call a “this and that” lunch. We often throw together a meal of crackers, (vegan) cheese, meats, hummus, veggies, and fruit when our refrigerator’s stock is low or we want a lighter lunch. I am not saying we started the charcuterie board trend, but I do consider myself somewhat of an ~expert when it comes to the mise-en-scène of such plates. 

Charcuterie boards have become particularly popular in recent months, so I have tried to step up my game. Influencer Katy Bellottee @katybellotte is a particular inspiration of mine, as well as Sam Turnbull @itdoesnttastelikechicken who shares a dynamic vegan snack board recipe. My favorite thing about such boards is how adaptable they are to what you have on hand, and how you can personalize them to your dietary needs and preferences. 

Here are my tips for making a charcuterie board from dining hall items, but I want to hit home the fact that there is no wrong way to do charcuterie. I have also heard that the 1962 Room has offered an antipasto station on select days which is definitely something to check out.

Start with a cracker base

Whether you prefer crackers and cheese, pretzels and hummus, or ciabatta with butter and jam, every charcuterie board needs some kind of plain base that you can stack goodies on top of. I often take a bunch of individually wrapped Ritz crackers from JA, which are delicious when topped with hummus or paired with sliced turkey and cheese.

Choose your protein

Although I am dairy-free, I still eat meat and will add turkey slices or a hardboiled egg to add to my snack plate. I also like to toss in a handful of nuts. My favorites are cashews and almonds, but you can also grab a bag of peanuts from the dining hall.

Don’t forget the cheese

I may avoid dairy most days, but sometimes I will cave when it comes to charcuterie. While I am a big fan of Violife’s vegan cheese options, the dining halls also have great options for those who are not lactose intolerant including, especially when they have brie or goat cheese.

It’s all about the veggies

I am a sucker for veggies, especially the individual bags of carrots, cucumbers, red peppers, celery, olives, and grape tomatoes which JA always has. These are great options to add to your board, as they pair well with hummus or are delicious on their own.

It’s also about the dip

I have already mentioned hummus on multiple occasions, but this is my favorite dip to have with the above items. Chickpeas, the base for hummus, are not only another good source of protein, but the dip itself is delicious with vegetables, crackers, and pretzels, making it a versatile addition to your plate.

Let’s not forget the fruit

While grapes are my favorite fruit pairing with this combo, my second favorite is red apples as they pair lovely with turkey. I am also getting back into orange slices. Sometimes I will toss some dried fruit onto my plate as well, especially craisins and dried apricots––both of which are available in the dining halls!

Some bonus items

If you want to get even fancier, adding honey and/or your favorite jam (my fave is fig) can be a delightful pairing to spread on crackers or bread slices with your cheese of choice.

Whenever I make a charcuterie board for lunch or dinner, I feel like I am transported to Paris for the night––not a bad feeling when the CDC advises only necessary travel. That being said, pour yourself a glass of wine (if you are of age), and enjoy your cheese and crackers.

Elizabeth Berry

Conn Coll '21

Elizabeth Berry is an English and Italian Studies double major at Connecticut College with a passion for journalism. She enjoys overnight oats, traveling to new cities, and reading the night away.