This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Now that the weather is starting to get colder, it is the perfect time to start getting into the cozy fall vibe. Even though we all will be going home after Thanksgiving, we still have time to create the most satisfying fall mood in our dorm rooms. The key to this mood is using these amazing yet simple fall elements to decorate your room. Since it’s Halloweek here at Her Campus Conn Coll, I’ll try to add some Halloween twists to the classic fall style, and you can certainly add as much spookiness as you want, but don’t be afraid to also keep this autumn atmosphere going all through October and November.

(And don’t worry, if you are already back home, these ideas will still work flawlessly.)

A Little Pumpkin Goes a Long Way — The Decor

My favorite way to decorate for fall, and Halloween in particular, is to use small (fake) pumpkins. They are usually super cheap (I bought mine at Walmart), and you can reuse them every year. Plus, they come in all different colors and all different sizes. I personally mix-and-match the sizes of pumpkins that are all the same color, and then I put them together on a ledge or the desk in my room. If I really want to get into the Halloween spirit, I get some of the cute gel window decals for my mirror and even get a strand or two of Halloween pumpkin lights to hang around my bed or door. Each of these decorations are really simple, but they are just what you need to get into the Halloween spirit. Luckily, even though I am home this semester, I have still been able to add these small touches around my house. And if want to keep your pieces a little less Halloween specific, you can keep them up all throughout the fall season. Even though the beautiful autumn leaves only last for a short time at Conn, your decorations don’t have to.

Pumpkin Spice and Everything Nice — The Smell

If there is one thing that signals the end of summer and the beginning of fall, it is the smell! Something in the air changes alongside the colder weather. And in my home, it has always been my mom’s favorite Yankee Candle candle, Sugar & Spice. Fall has some of the best fragrances of the year, and one of the best ways to create that fall vibe in your own space is bring the smell to life. But since most of us are on campus where candles are definitely not allowed, there are thankfully some alternatives. I recommend getting a reed diffuser, like the ones sold at Target, in the fragrances of Pumpkin Spice or Harvest Festival. Especially since we have to spend more time in our rooms than ever before, why not spice it up with some smelly-goods?

Carrot Cake Anyone? — The Food

If it’s not the autumn smell for you that signals the season, but it’s probably when you start seeing the signature Pumpkin Spice and Salted Caramel lattes at Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts. Ok, so maybe those drinks still have the classic pumpkin smell—this season really has become defined by pumpkin spice—but there are also some amazing sweet treats that you will love to eat in your newly decorated room. To me, there is something about cakes that feel like the perfect fall treat, so I’m a big fan of making a spice cake with cream cheese frosting. But since baking a cake or a sweet potato pie isn’t exactly feasible in a dorm room, you can try to make a mug cake. And if you want to get in the Halloween spirit, why not get a bag of your favorite Halloween candy? I mean, is there anything better than Halloween Twizzlers? Even if we can’t go trick-or-treating this year, that doesn’t mean we can’t still have our favorite Halloween pumpkin-shaped and dyed-orange candy.  

If you really do want to make a cake though, check out our Top Three Mug Cakes article for the perfect Pumpkin Spice Mug Cake recipe that you make right in your dorm room. Or you can just buy a quick and easy Carrot Cake mug cake mix in a box.

They Did the “Monster Mash” — The Music

The final step to creating a vibe to get you into the Halloween spirit is the music. Even while staying safe and socially distanced, you can host a Halloween Zoom party, put on a costume, and blast all your favorite spooky songs. And if you want something more relaxed and lowkey, you can host a Zoom session with cozier fall tunes in the background while drinking your favorite hot drink. You can make your own playlist, or you can find one on Spotify and Apple Music. Even if you have no plans to try to host a Zoom party, you can still listen to these Halloween and fall playlists while you are studying to keep you in that fall mood.

Even though Halloween and the entire fall season may look a little different this year, there are still so many ways to keep the fall spirit alive. And your dorm room (or bedroom at home) is the perfect place to start. Creating a cozy environment may be just the thing you need to make it through these next two months. Happy decorating!

Elizabeth, originally from just outside of Chicago, is a senior graduating early from Connecticut College where she is majoring in English with Psychology and History minors. She has an insatiable appetite for a compelling story and hopes to use that passion to pursue a career in publishing in a big city. If she’s not reading or writing another essay, she is binge-watching a new TV series, scrolling through Pinterest, baking cookies, or hanging out with family and friends.
Her Campus Conn Coll