This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

The Emmy’s, which took place last Sunday, were a glamorous display of stardom. As always, we have many opinions on the winners and losers of the award show. Here’s what we think about the results of TV’s biggest night:

Ted Lasso Scores 7 Wins at the Emmys

Apple TV+’s sports comedy, Ted Lasso, has quickly become a fan favorite. The series follows Ted Lasso, the stereotypical midwestern American football coach, on his new journey to the United Kingdom to coach AFC Richmond, an English soccer team. Ted brings much more with him than his lack of soccer knowledge or any known experience of the game. He brings a refreshing sense of optimism and a can-do attitude that infects the hearts of anyone he comes in contact with. Many are reluctant of his arrival—Richmond strictly refers to Coach Lasso as a “wanker.” This term soon becomes endearing to Ted and shows his acceptance within the community. Ted Lasso is everyone’s biggest fan, and he’s always scheming up ways to help others. Everyone needs a Ted Lasso in their life.

It is no surprise that Jason Sudeikis won Best Actor for his portrayal of “Ted Lasso” at the Emmys. However, Hannah Waddingham (Rebecca Welton) and Brett Goldstein (Roy Kent) also won Emmys for best-supporting actress and actor.​​ The characters of Rebecca Welton and Roy Kent are just as loveable as Ted Lasso. Rebecca Welton, AFC Richmond’s owner and the leading lady defines a girlboss. Recently separated from her husband, she steps into her new role as owner with determination and creativity. Rebecca was the one to invite an American football coach to England to run her team. Although her intentions may not have been the best in recruiting Ted Lasso, a friendship blossoms as she comes to determine that Ted can understand what she is going through more than others. My favorite character, Roy Kent, the grumpy veteran soccer player who cannot get through a sentence without cursing, contrasts Ted Lasso’s attitude. Roy can see through Ted’s tactics, but also learns to embrace them. Roy does not care about what anyone thinks, and he will tell you how it is no matter how hard it may seem. He is a soccer icon in England, and that becomes clear when his fans chant, “Roy Kent he’s here, he’s there, he’s every f***ing where, Roy Kent.” Ted Lasso helps bring out the best in Roy Kent, encouraging him to become the team leader. He does this by making Roy Kent read “A Wrinkle in Time.” If you have not watched Ted Lasso, it is simple, you must. Like the coach, the series does not require you to have any prior knowledge, or love for soccer, but I will warn you, you will become the biggest AFC Richmond fan in the process. 

• Maggie Linehan ‘24 
The Queen’s Gambit: Checkmating the Emmys with 11 prizes

When I first caught wind of the “chess” show that had captivated the eyes and screens of the nation, I had little to no expectations. I am no fan of the game of chess and I had no idea how filming a multitude of chess matches could keep anyone entertained. However, person after person encouraged me that The Queen’s Gambit was worth the seven 45-minute episodes, so I reluctantly agreed and became immediately enveloped in the series. 

At the Emmys, The Queen’s Gambit had 18 nominations. It won 11 awards, the most prominent being “Best Limited Series.” That’s the beauty of the show: there is no encore, no second season, no more money to be drained from the franchise. They told the story, gave it an ending, and wrapped it forever. The series also won “Best Directing,” which I can affirm with my zero credentials. Looking past the awards and dazzling ceremony, The Queen’s Gambit should also receive credit for inspiring young girls across the nation that they also can dominate on the chess board. They can channel their “inner queen,” and put the king and other patriarchal norms into check (or checkmate if you will). 

• Meredith Harper ‘24
WandaVision Cheated by the Emmys

It may be the Marvel fan in me, but one of the most outrageous snubs of the Emmys this year was WandaVision. The limited series started airing on Disney+ at the beginning of 2021, kicking off the release of Marvel’s three shows that succeeded the events of “Avengers: Endgame.” WandaVision follows Wanda Maximoff and Vision living a “perfect” suburban life in the small town of Westview, which the audience soon realizes is a magical facade subconsciously created by Wanda in her grief over Vision’s death. Each episode takes place in a different era of television, varying in style and genre. The first episode,“Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience,” is aptly named, as it resembles an I Love Lucy sitcom down to the black and white film, intricate 50s-themed wardrobe, and three-camera setup. Each of the episodes integrate the same level of detail in period-accurate film style, hair, wardrobe, and props, which earned it a myriad of Emmy nominations for its technical and creative elements. However, it is the acting prowess of the entire cast that has earned the series its reputation as a masterpiece. 

The extremely talented Kat Dennings, Randall Park and Teyonah Parriss play featured characters that are tasked with puzzling out Wanda’s creation from outside Westview, while guest stars like Debra Jo Rupp and Evan Peters show up within Wanda’s world for an episode or two. Paul Bettany plays leading man with all the wit and depth that makes Vision Wanda’s perfect match and earns him the nomination for outstanding lead actor in a limited or anthology series. But, the standouts are clearly Kathryn Hahn and Elizabeth Olsen, both nominated in the categories of outstanding supporting actress and lead actress respectively, in a limited or anthology series. Kathryn Hahn’s reputation precedes her as a comedic actress, as evidenced by her effortless mastery of the classic nosey neighbor trope. But, her devious embodiment of Agatha Harkness, a dramatic and evil villain whose emotions constantly flicker from rage to amusement to pity to violence encapsulates Hahn’s excellence. Her representation of Agatha Harkness serves as a perfect rival to Elizabeth Olsen’s Wanda Maximoff.

Wanda is one of the Marvel Universe’s most beloved characters played by one of the most beloved actors. Elizabeth Olsen has always been viewed as the “underdog,” overshadowed by her younger sisters’ fame from their childhoods, but through her work in the MCU she has become a household name, and for good reason. Her work in WandaVision as the tortured Wanda Maximoff trying to work through grief, anger, and the illusion she’s created to keep these emotions at bay is one of the most raw and incredible performances I’ve ever seen in a TV show.

The Marvel Studios limited series earned a whopping 23 Emmy nominations, falling just behind The Crown and The Mandalorian, who tied for 24. Despite this, WandaVision only brought home three awards for production design, costumes, and, a bright spot, original music and lyrics for the absolute bop, “Agatha All Along”.

If my disappointment wasn’t already palpable, I’d like to expressly clarify my disappointment that WandaVision was cheated at the Emmys this year. Elizabeth Olsen, in particular, deserves recognition for her excellent acting. The fact that only three creative Emmys were earned out of all the awards the show was nominated for is astounding. My biggest qualm, however, is that the writing for the show and the series itself was not lauded for its diversity among the current landscape of TV writing. The thought and effort put into each individual episode and subtle references to past and future events in the MCU is reminiscent of a Taylor Swift song, and the plot was like nothing else I’ve ever seen on television or in other Marvel movies. WandaVision recreated famous eras of television while creating an entirely new genre in the process, and such a feat executed as well as it was through acting, writing, music, wardrobe, directing, and all of the little elements that made WandaVision so compelling should not have been ignored as it was by the Emmys.

• Norah Morrissey ‘25
Meredith Harper

Conn Coll '24

Meredith Harper is a junior at Connecticut College. She loves to write, listen to music, and hangout with friends.
Maggie Linehan

Conn Coll '24

Maggie is a sophomore at Connecticut College majoring in International Relations with a Slavic Studies minor. Maggie is from Baltimore, MD. She is currently learning Russian and hopes to one day be fluent. She loves to read, travel, and be active. Maggie is a huge football fan, her favorite team is the Baltimore Ravens. She enjoys playing tennis, field hockey, and soccer.