Healthy? Not So Much…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Eating healthy is always, well, a healthy choice. This can be tricky especially in college when nutritious foods are hard to come by given a fixed meal plan and limited budget. While stocking up your mini-fridge and pantry basket with “healthy” and “organic” snacks may seem like a reliable source of nutrition, many food labels say otherwise. These days every aisle at the supermarket is filled with a Fat-Free option or High-Protein but No-Sugar treat. We know it can be tedious to read every label and decide what is and what isn’t good for you, so we’re here to debunk the the myth of several foods and snacks that are supposed to be good for you but are loaded with sugar, chemicals and unnecessary garbage that you should definitely steer clear of. 

Trail Mix

Though we love the M&M and nuts galore mix, these bags are loaded with calories in even just one handful. Between the dried fruit, nuts and chocolate you’re looking at 11 grams of sugar in just 2 tablespoons of some trail mixes! Try individually packaged nuts instead for a quick, lower calorie/low sugar snack on-the-go.

Granola

Same idea here… LOADED with sugar. Whether it’s in bar or cereal form, granola is packed with unnecessary amounts of sugar. Just one cup of Nature Valley Granola in Harris can be packed with 16g of sugar and 250 calories. Instead, Kashi 7 Whole Grain Flakes is a great alternative for your late night cravings. With only 6g of sugar and 150 calories in a cup you’re good to power through that lengthy study session full of fuel, not junk. 

Bars

We know how convenient these are but most energy & protein bars are loaded with hidden grams of sugar, calories and overemphasized amounts of vitamins and minerals that your body does not need. For all you LunaBar & Clif Bar lovers out, there we’re sorry to be the bearers of bad news, but they are packed with Whey Protein (which can be harsh on the skin for those who are acne-prone) and tons of Vitamin D2 which aren’t easily digestible in the bod, not to mention the crazy amounts of protein they have. So unless you plan on hiking for three hours between classes you’re better off skipping these bars and grabbing a piece of fruit instead. 

Non-Fat/Fat-Free Yogurts

Fat-free means there are a lot of chemicals and other nonsense who-knows-what in order for it to be “fat-free”. Though fat may be cut of the equation, that generally means other ingredients are being shoved into the recipe (usually always sugar) to create flavor.  Be it regular, whipped or Greek yogurt, watch out for flavors and always, always go for plain. It may be bland but 15g of sugar in a lemon Chobani is a big difference compared to 4g in a plain one. Plus you can always add a dash of vanilla or honey (all natural!) yourself to add flavor. 

Pre-Made Salads

We’re all for salads and the nutritional value all the green veggies offer. Careful though because we all know too well a salad can quickly become toppings on toppings, dressing, and a few leaves of lettuce somewhere in-between. In particular, salad with the dressing already on it is highly caloric, so it’s best to add the dressing yourself by asking for it on the side. Watch out for topping overload too. Cheese, nuts and dried fruits on your salads can rack up your calorie and fat intake faster than you can imagine. When eating salads just remember to keep them lean and green!

Just remember ladies, a balanced and healthy diet is all about consuming everything in moderation!

Julie is a junior at Connecticut College from Montclair, New Jersey studying dance and psychology. She loves to share her passion for food with friends and family and has been on a life long quest to find the world's best slice of pizza. In her free time, Julie enjoys yoga and hopes to one day become a certified yoga instructor. 
Her Campus Conn Coll