freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks ChaY8166imQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Guide to a Gleeful Galentines Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Valentine’s Day involves women everywhere being bombarded with the message that they need to be in a relationship to be happy. Whether it’s social media posts or your family that emphasize your lack of a significant other, it’s hard not to let the message that being single is undesirable get in your head. As a single woman myself, I can totally relate to anyone who finds themselves coming down with the Valentine’s Day blues. But Valentine’s Day is more than just for people in romantic relationships—it’s about celebrating love. And what better way is there to celebrate love than with your friends (or with chocolate)? Even though Galentine’s Day was technically February 13th, you can still spend time with your gal pals and refer to this guide to ensure a great time.

Step 1: Buy chocolate (after it goes on sale!)

Everyone knows that the best part about Valentine’s Day when you’re single is buying chocolate the day after Valentine’s Day when it’s been majorly discounted.

Step 2: Exchange Galentines

Store-bought are fine, but making your own can be so fun! When you’re buying the cheap chocolate, you could pick up some arts and crafts supplies—stickers, glitter, markers, etc.—and make cheesy, heartfelt cards that let your friends know how much they mean to you.

Step 3: Watch a Girl-Power Comedy

Here’s a list of some of my own person favorite movies to watch with my girlfriends:

Mulan

Dumplin

Sex and the City

Ellen Degeneres: Relatable

Bridesmaids

Clueless

Miss Congeniality

Legally Blonde

The Devil Wears Prada

Matilda

The Princess Diaries/The Princess Diaries 2

You Again

The Parent Trap

Working Girl

Step 4: Treat yo self

Have a full-out pampering session: face masks, hair masks, manicure, pedicure, etc. There’s nothing more relaxing than having a spa day with your closest friends. By the end of your Galentine’s Day, you won’t even remember that you’re single. Because even though you’re not in a relationship, you’re not alone.

Conn Coll Class of 2022
Her Campus Conn Coll