This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

We spotted the neon sign immediately—a beacon in the city night as we made the short walk from New Haven’s public Broadway parking lot. Located right in the heart of downtown New Haven, The Place 2 Be was illuminated with warm light, and we glimpsed a collection of leafy plant life through large windows as we quickly crossed the street. In the chilly January air, our group couldn’t get through the doors fast enough.  

Walking into the restaurant, we were greeted by a funky bar setting, the familiar smell of comfort food, and a sign above the hostess stand that read “if you didn’t check in, were you really here?” As we waited for a staff member, our Gen Z eyes promptly locked onto a giant mirror at the end of a hallway. The result: the first of many group photos we would take that night. 

IMG 5835

As we were led up a sleek black set of stairs, we took the time to absorb the urban-styled decor that transformed an old fire house into this chic and welcoming space to dine and converse. The upper floor was decked out with fun chandeliers and glowing signs, while large tables sat interspersed between brick pillars graffitied by a local artist. Looking around the room, we noted how many different groups chose this spot for their Saturday night dinner: families with children, young adults celebrating the end of the work week, and, of course, a lot of college students. From the bright colors and fun music to the sticker in the women’s bathroom that said “Looking like a snack,” it was becoming clear that the vibes, the food, and the photo ops made The Place 2 Be the perfect location for our girls’ night out. 

The Place 2 Be opened its first location in the south end of Hartford, Connecticut, in 2016 and has rapidly expanded to include four more locations: a booze garden in downtown Hartford; a glamorous spot in West Hartford; a restaurant in Springfield, Massachusetts, near the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame; and the one we visited in New Haven. Additionally, a new location is opening soon in Dallas, Texas, and after the success of their homemade challah bread, The Place 2 Be team will open a bakery in West Hartford, as well. Each of the restaurants is designed to capture the essence of their locales—founder and CEO Gina Luari describes them as sisters, not twins. It’s the Instagrammable features and seamless blend into the community that draws in the crowds for brunch and dinner from 7am to 8pm every day. 

IMG 1934

At the New Haven location, an easy fifty-minute drive from Connecticut College, the restaurant’s metropolitan design is influenced by the culture and style of New Orleans while remaining true to the setting of its small college city—maintaining the feel of a summer day even in the heart of winter. With two bars and a spacious outdoor patio, it was clear to us that this spot had already cemented itself as a popping, year-round hangout for Yale students and New Haven residents, despite only being open for a little over a year. 

When we arrived at our table, which comfortably fit the five of us, we were presented with two options: peruse the menu and order online via a QR code, or flip a card upwards to signal that we would like to interact with a waiter. This choose-your-own adventure way of ordering is incredibly innovative and perfect for those looking to customize the particular vibe of their outing. But be warned: There are so many delicious options on the menu it may be hard to choose without asking for recommendations from a staff member. The all-day breakfast menu featured a surprisingly large collection of fancy, American-style dishes, from jumbo waffles and stuffed French toast to burgers and quesadillas and, of course, a selection of incredibly alluring drinks. 

IMG 9611

The wait for our food was an excellent opportunity to explore the space, and we quickly made our way through the pillars and vines towards the main photo op of the second floor: a bathtub filled with little balls and straws underneath a neon sign that read: “Drink My Bathwater.” This quote, which seems like a timely reference to the recent movie Saltburn, has actually been part of The Place 2 Be brand since 2020. Truly, ahead of its time. Of course, we took turns getting into the bathtub and snapping a few pics for the story… and our inevitable monthly wrap-ups. 

IMG 1939

When our food arrived, we, simply, could not stop staring at it. My friend Taylor’s Churro French Toast, featuring a chocolate-drizzled churro piled under a stack of whipped cream atop two massive pieces of toast definitely stole the show, and Maged’s fresh fruit smoothie was presented in a jar decked out with strawberries and a rim of frosting. These photos, of course, were immediately posted. Then, we dug in. And trust me, the food tasted just as good as it looked. My Chicken Pesto Melt was warm and flavorful and disappeared very quickly, while Miranda looked super happy with her Bacon Cheddar Burger. Maged and Catherine shared the Buffalo Chicken Salad and the Buffalo Chicken Melt and reportedly really enjoyed the spice, while a tower of onion rings in the center of the table grabbed everyone’s attention and appetite. Next time, though, I’m definitely going for the Giant Grilled Cheese… or the Steak n’ Eggs Quesadilla… or the Cookies n’ Cream Oreo Pancakes. Okay, we’ll have to do some sharing again, for sure. 

IMG 0574

When Gina Luari founded The Place 2 Be in 2016, she pictured a fashionable yet comfortable scene with immaculate vibes—the perfect place to keep the party going the morning after a night out, where brunch doesn’t have to end at 3pm. I am happy to report that this restaurant is the “it” place for a girls outing. It’ll be exciting to see what the brand accomplishes next. 

A big thanks to Gina and the team at The Place 2 Be for such a magical night! We will certainly be back… probably next week… for the “Bottomless Heartbreaks” Drag Brunch event.

To learn more about The Place 2 Be, visit their website here

IMG 1947

Lara is a senior at Connecticut College, where she is pursuing a double major in environmental studies and economics with a minor in dance. Her interests include choreography, sustainability, the performing arts, and conservation.