Girl Rising Screening: Friday April 12

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

“ONE GIRL WITH COURAGE IS A REVOLUTION”

Ascending, sloping upward, and advancing are all verbs that define the act of rising. After eleven year old Pakistani girl, Malala Yousafzai got shot by the Taliban in consequence of voicing her dreams and hopes of perusing her education to become a doctor, a revolution began. Girl Rising is an inspiring documentary that focuses on the stories of nine girls from nine different countries – Afghanistan, Egypt, Peru, India, Sierra Leone, Ethiopia, Nepal, Cambodia, and Haiti- all of whom share their suffers of injustice, such as rape and arranged marriage.

These brave girls manage to bring hope and inspiration to audiences by demonstrating how with strength, courage, and determination one can form a revolution. The main motive of this documentary is to provide a better understanding of how the education of girls in developing countries can be the key to improving our world. It is truly important for all citizens to be aware of the unfortunate circumstances that may be taking place not only in one nation, but all across our globe. Sometimes when people haven’t experienced certain situations, it is hard for them to makes sense of them. However, as awareness rises about certain misfortunes, it increases the chances that citizens of the world will work together towards fixing those flaws. The documentary brings attention to the importance of enhancing the education provided to young girls, teaching them a set of values and morals, and shaping them into leaders. At the end of the day, children in fact are the adults of the future.

This film was produced by 10×10, a social action campaign created by former ABC News Journalists (associated with The Documentary Group). Their works are all based on the mission to educate and empower girls. Voice performances are done by: Anne Hathaway, Salma Hayek, Cate Blanch, Alicia Keys, Selena Gomez, Priyanka Chopra, Meryl Streep, Kerry Washington, Chloe Moretz, Liam Neeson, and Freida Pinto. In a nutshell, why would anyone want to miss it?

Thanks to Her Campus, S.A.F.E. Project, and Lucy Wallace (a CC Senior who interned for the Documentary Group), the documentary will be playing in an Blaustein 210 at Connecticut College on Friday April 12, 2013 at 7:00pm. Students and faculty of the college are welcome and encouraged to come view the film for free. Girl Rising will also be playing in Regal Cinemas from April 19-25.

Her Campus Conn Coll