This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

As an avid reader, I am always looking for new books and figured that I might share some of my current favorites. This article acts as a virtual book club, a way for us all to find some new, great reads for this fall. Get ready to snuggle up with your new favorite read, a fuzzy blanket and a warm fall drink. Don’t worry, no spoilers included!

1. Girl in Pieces by Kathleen Glasglow 

This heartbreaking novel follows Charlotte “Charlie” Davis’ battle with self harm and self acceptance. Only 17 years old, Charlie has suffered more loss and struggle than many others her age. Glasgow uses the first person narrative not only to illustrate the pain and suffering that Charlie experiences, but to allow readers to gain her perspective. This tearjerker will have you flipping the pages faster than you can imagine while tearing your heart into pieces. 

1. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

This beautifully written novel tells Cadence Sinclair’s, and the other three liars’, unforgettable story. Throughout this book, readers learn more about a mysterious disaster that struck and how it changed the liars’ lives forever. While reading, we uncover secrets, lies and love – turning page after page to find the truth. A fascinating story and a fast read, you will be recommending this novel to all of your friends. 

1. 7 Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

Exceptional author of renowned pieces of literature such as Malibu Rising and Daisy Jones and the Six, Reid has done it again. To put it simply, this novel changed my life. Written from the perspective of a journalist, this novel captures the life of Evelyn Hugo, a fictional character based on famous actor Elizabeth Taylor. Full of grit, secrets and grief this book will have you wishing that Evelyn Hugo was alive to tell her story. 

1. The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner

This novel strings together two story lines, one is set in the 18th century, the other in the 21st century. In the 21st century, Caroline uncovers the mystery behind the 18th century female apothecary, Nella, who used her knowledge to distribute poisons. Few knew of Nella’s apothecary shop and the true purpose behind her work – to free women from the toxic men in their lives. Throughout this piece, we uncover many mysteries about both Nella and Caroline.  

1. I Hope this Helps by Nakeia Homer

This series of curated poems empowers readers to grow, heal and find strength during times of need. Beginning or ending your day with a poem or two from this book will leave you feeling liberated and reflective. It is not often that poetry is included in book recommendations, which is exactly why I decided to mention this piece of literature.

I hope from this article you will find at least one new read, that maybe you will recommend to all of your friends!

Dalia Kaplan

Conn Coll '24

Dalia is a sophomore at Connecticut College, originally from Manhattan, New York. She is majoring in Human Development and Psychology. Dalia loves reading, baking, hiking and hanging out with friends!