Election Status: A Month Later

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

“In the cause of silence, each one of us draws her own fear– fear of contempt, of censure, or some judgment, or recognition, of challenge, of annihilation. But most of all, I think, we fear the visibility without which we also cannot truly live. Within this country where racial difference creates a constant, if unspoken, distortion of vision, black women have on one hand always been highly visible, and so, on the other hand, have been rendered invisible through the depersonalization of racism. Even within the women’s movement, we have had to fight and still do, for that very visibility which also renders us most vulnerable, our blackness. For to survive in the mouth of this dragon we call america, we have had to learn this first and most vital lesson– that we were never meant to survive. Not as human beings. And neither were most of you here today, black or not. And that visibility which makes you most vulnerable is also our greatest strength. Because the machine will try to grind us into dust anyway, whether or not we speak. We can sit in out corners mute forever while our sisters and ourselves are wasted, while our children are distorted and destroyed, while our earth is poisoned, we can sit in our safe corners as mute as bottles, and still we will be no less afraid.”

“The Transformation of Silence into Action” Audre Lorde

November 8th 2016, concluded the race to presidency with Donald J. Trump winning the electoral college over Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. This election was very historic, in that the candidates were both tackling some of our country’s toughest economic and social issues. After winning the major swing states, Trump surged ahead of Clinton in the electoral college, making him the 45th president of the US. Many people were unhappy with the results of this election, including so many students on our campus. Though the more crippling feeling following the results of this election, was the feeling of helplessness. We decided to share with you some ideas about how to stay true to your political beliefs and make your voice count.

“The election was the first significant defeat our generation has felt. The morning after, I felt nothing but sorrow and deep rooted sadness. I began to realize it was because I could not see the future in a hopeful way. But as the days continued I began to find solutions that would combat my sorrow. Realizing my privilege, as white middle class woman allowed me to not be fearful giving back to my community. I donated money to Planned Parenthood and Greenpeace, I began to eat less animal products and limited my waste habits. I signed petitions, participated in protests and attempted to ease the fear so many of my friends possess. I refuse to be a bystander in what events this election may bring, I will use my background and privilege to help and support others. It is this viewpoint that finally allowed me stop grieving and start planning.” -Hanna Bobrowicz

Emily is currently a senior attending Connecticut College. She is a Biology and English double major. Her interests include community service, lazy days in bed watching movies and hanging out outdoors with friends. Like her interests, her taste in music and movies is all over the place. She has had an amazing four years here at Conn College so far, and is excited and nervous about being much closer to the REAL WORLD!