Day of the Dead, Day of Celebration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

While the hype of Halloween is occurring, many of those with Mexican roots will be creating alters and engaging in festivities to commemorate those that have passed away. Dia de Los Meurtos (The Day of the Dead) is a three-day holiday starting on October 31st and ending on November 2nd, with emphasis on November 1st, typically celebrated in Mexico but also in other Latin and Hispanic countries.

“El dia de los Meurtos is a great day to celebrate life after death, a way to never forget loved ones, and to pay homage to those who have passed away.”
-Izamar Moya- Connecticut College Student, M.E.Ch.A co-president

This is a time for friends and families to come together to pray for the people that they cared for that have died. Families will visit and decorate loved ones’ graves. Symbols associated with this holiday include skulls, marigolds, and lots of color! Families will also build alters to honor the deceased, which can include their picture, food that they enjoyed, personal belongings, and other items that were important to them. They can range from small to large in size, and can be very elaborate.  These activities are done in hope that the souls of the deceased will visit the sites to hear the words of the living.

At Connecticut College, M.E.Ch.A. (Movimiento Estudiantil Chican de Aztlan), La Unidad, UMOJA , Spectrum, and The Women’s Center will be creating their own alters to put on display at Unity House. These clubs will be displaying figures that are important to them that have passed away. M.E.ch.A will be hosting an event on November 1st, in collaboration with the other clubs, which will involve traditional Mexican food, a vigil, games, and other activities. These alters will also be on display at Unity House in the Pepsico Room for a week, which is open to the public. 

Hi! I'm Arely and currently a sophomore attending Connecticut College. I've grown up in NJ for most of my life but I've lived in Mexico for two years, I did an exchange program to Finland during one summer, and I've done a little bit of backpacking. I'm not sure what area of study I want to pursue or what do as far as a career, but I am excited to see what the future unfolds.
Her Campus Conn Coll