A Dash of Sass: New “Create-Your-Own” Dinner in Freeman!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Upon walking into Freeman on Thursday evening, I was expecting to make and enjoy a vegetarian stir-fry. With your own skillet, you can choose rice, noodles, vegetables, soy sauce, tofu, peanut sauce, Sriracha, and so much more to fill your plate with a fresh and unique mix. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the new create-your-own burrito bar!

The line features hot tortillas and crispy and salty tortilla chips to fill with all sorts of fresh ingredients. There is Spanish rice, spicy tofu, refried beans, and sauteed peppers and onions. The choices from the regular salad bar include black olives, spinach leaves, diced tomatoes, sprouts, chick peas, and shredded cheese. However, the best ingredients Freeman had to offer were guacamole and salsa. The salsa had the perfect amount of spice, and the guacamole was good, but personally, I like guacamole to be a bit more chunky and not so creamy. If you aren’t that great at folding a burrito, you can always make a salad instead and use tortilla chips for dipping.

I filled a tortilla with rice, spicy tofu, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, shredded cheese, and black olives, but I went a little overboard. I couldn’t get the tortilla to fold, so I opted for using tortilla chips. I’m not complaining – it was still delicious!

The burrito bar will be available every Tuesday and Thursday in November, but don’t worry, because you will have the chance to try stir-fry next month! And just a reminder, Freeman is only open until 6:30 for dinner, and it tends to get crowded, so make your way there early!

Need help folding the burrito? See this video.

I am proud to be a camel at Connecticut College and my blog, A Dash of Sass, originated from people telling me that I am a great critic, especially when it comes my meals. The blog serves as an awesome creative outlet from all of my work as a Psychology major and Human Development minor, hoping to study abroad in Spain! Born and raised on Cape Cod, I love fresh shellfish, homemade black raspberry ice cream, when the tourists leave, and spending the day on the salt water. I can't live without reggaeton music, Alex and Ani bracelets, Harbour Island, or iced coffee.
Danielle is a sophomore at Connecticut College and is currently pursuing a double-major in International Relations and Middle Eastern Studies. Danielle began writing for the Connecticut College branch of Her Campus in the fall of 2011 and will continue to write this year as Editor and Campus Correspondent. Danielle has traveled all over the world and continues her love for other cultures and languages through her studies. Besides traveling, she loves to sing and dance - especially as a member of Miss Connduct, an all-female A capella group at Connecticut College. In general, Danielle loves sushi, goats, traveling, and Star Wars/Lord of the Rings. She is thrilled to be working with Her Campus this year!