Crime Shows That Have Slipped Through the Cracks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

When I don’t know what to watch, I always seem to gravitate towards crime and mystery shows. To me, they’ve always been some of the most entertaining shows to watch. But, you can only watch Criminal Minds or Law and Order SVU so many times. So, here is a list of crime shows that may have slipped under your radar.

Grimm: (2011-2017)

Grimm is a fantasy police drama that is different from any other crime show that I’ve seen. The main character, Nick, is a detective in Portland, Oregon, when he finds out he is a Grimm, which is a human guardian tasked with keeping a world of supernatural creatures called Wesen in line. Nick works with his police partner Hank, along with his Wesen friend, Monroe (who is the show’s version of a werewolf), to solve crimes. The show follows Nick’s encounters with Wesen through his police work throughout the city, as well as unraveling a larger conspiracy that his family has hidden from him. The show is full of complex and lovable characters, and it does a good job balancing lighter moments as well as the heartfelt, but there are also some darker moments in the supernatural elements.

Where to watch: Amazon Prime, Apple TV ($1.99)

White Collar: (2009-2014)

White Collar is a police drama that follows an infamous con artist and thief, named Neal Caffrey (played by Matt Bomer), in his time as a criminal informant for FBI agent Peter Burke. Agent Burke was the agent who caught Caffrey, and offered him a consulting job in exchange for an early release from prison. Their partners/father-son dynamic is one of my favorite parts of the show. I found this show to be especially fun to watch because it had a main character that is very lovable and easy to root for, but he’s not strictly a “good guy,” and he often goes against the FBI with his own agenda. This show is full of lovable characters, as well as fun storylines, so let’s just say I was pretty upset when it got taken off Netflix. If you’re looking for a crime show that’s less violent and creepy, this is definitely the show for you.

Where to watch: Amazon Prime, Hulu (subscription), Apple TV ($1.99)

Bones: (2005-2017)

Bones is a crime comedy-drama that follows forensic anthropologist Temperance “Bones” Brennan and her team at the fictional Jeffersonian Institute as they assist FBI agent Seeley Booth with his various muder investigations. This show focuses on both the forensic and detective sides, and as the show focuses on human remains that are found in various conditions, the show also dives into the personal lives of the main characters. If you’re looking for a crime show with a bit more romantic tension, this could be a show for you. There are multiple relationships explored, with the dynamic between Brennan and Booth being the main focus (don’t you worry though, their relationship is definitely a slow-burn). This is another lighthearted and funny crime show, as many parts of the character’s lives are unusual and entertaining. However, the decaying remains seen in each episode could be off-putting if you’re especially squeamish. 

Where to watch: Hulu (subscription), Amazon Prime

Maggie Hayes

Conn Coll '24

Maggie is a student at Connecticut College. She loves to read, write, and spend time outside (especially with her dogs).