Conscious Consumerism: The Buy UP Index

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Conscious consumerism is reshaping the way individuals shop. We have begun to put our money where our heart is by becoming mindful of how our purchases impact our economy, our society, and our environment.  Through media and technology, websites and applications are being created to help consumers become more aware.

The BUY UP Index is an application that works to help users make purchasing decisions based on company’s commitments to gender equality. On the app users can find well know everyday brands and companies such as Apple, Nike, Bank of America, and Starbucks.

The BUY UP Index scores companies on Women Employees, Women’s Leadership, Corporate Citizenship, and Marketing. Within each of the four major areas, there are subcategories used to help create the overall score. Subcategories include: maternity leave, paternity leave, women in management, and employee diversity reporting.

Applications such as the BUY UP Index make it is easy for consumers to purchase products made by women-friendly companies. Hopefully, with the use of the BUY UP Index, all consumers will take initiative and direct their spending towards companies that promote gender equality and treat women equally. BUY UP Index allows individuals to promote change within corporations and brands through purchasing habits. If we demand change within companies, change will come.

Download the BUY UP Index today and promote gender equality in business using your consumption habits!

Ari F

Conn Coll '16

N/A
Her Campus Conn Coll