Connecticut College Thinks S.A.F.E. About Sexual Assault Policies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

On October 17, Amherst student Angie Epifano’s article went viral. Originally published in the college’s student newspaper The Amherst Student, Epifano recounts her experience as a survivor of sexual assault on campus in the spring of 2011 and her plight with the administration’s handling of her report. Hearing about the rape alone was enough to horrify and anger fellow students, but what caused the initial shock and reaction not only at Amherst, but also throughout the NESCAC community and beyond, was the realization that the administration of such a prestigious institution failed to protect the rights and well-being of one of its own students. Epifano was met with skepticism, even resistance, and through the lack of support from the college, she was essentially told to forgive, forget, and be quiet. As the victim of sexual assault, Epifano’s life at Amherst was wrongfully derailed.

There was an outpour of support for Angie and revulsion at the reaction of the Amherst administration from students and faculty members from colleges across the New England region. Popular Twitter accounts such as @inthecac retweeted the article with the hashtag #ithappenshere. Students posted “The Amherst Student” link for the article on their Facebook pages, leading to such a high flow of traffic that the site temporarily crashed. The article garnered so much attention that sites such as Jezebel.com and “The Huffington Post: College” wrote and uploaded articles with the headlines “Amherst Sweeps Sexual Assault Allegations Under the Rug,” and “The Death of Innocence at Amherst College,” respectively. Inspired by Epifano’s bravery in sharing her story, other survivors began to recount and come forth with their own; the sheer volume was surprising to many. What is even more troubling, however, is that these assaults were kept under wraps in the first place.

We live in a culture of silence, where victims are afraid to come forward for fear of not being taken seriously and stigmatization. This became painfully clear with Epifano’s story and the reaction to it, and it begs the question, why do we stay silent? What causes and encourages this culture? Just because we live on small campuses that promote community and support does not mean we are untouchable. Sexual assault happens everywhere. It happens here.

What about Connecticut College’s policies? In light of recent events, it is important that students are aware of our support systems and procedures for administrative handling of sexual assault on campus. Three years ago, Conn established the Office of Sexual Violence and Advocacy. Darcie Folsom is our Coordinator of Sexual Violence and Advocacy, and is also the head of the Think S.A.F.E. project. In the spring of 2009, the Office of Student Life and Dean Bridell revamped the college’s sexual misconduct policies, redefining what constitutes consent, sexual misconduct, non-consensual sexual contact, sexual harassment, and sexual exploitation. Through the Department of Justice grant that funds our sexual violence programs, the school is able to get training and advice regarding sexual misconduct policies and judicial procedures. The administration at Connecticut College takes these matters very seriously and works to promote an environment where survivors feel comfortable reporting their experiences and seeking help.

Dean of Student Life Jocelyn Bridell, Associate Dean of Student Life Sarah Cardwell, and Coordinator of Sexual Violence & Advocacy/Think S.A.F.E. project Darcie Folsom collaborated to provide information and insight regarding Connecticut College’s attitudes and policies towards sexual misconduct. Their responses to the question posed to them provide important information for all students to be aware of and to take seriously. Our faculty, staff, and administration care about its students and want to foster an environment of awareness and support. They want to work to end this culture of silence, and the first step in doing so is the realization that, like at every other college and beyond, sexual assault happens. It’s time we all openly acknowledge this and educate ourselves and our peers.

What are the statistics of sexual assault and sexual harassment at Conn?
You can refer to the Campus Security Annual Report, which provides data for all incidents report to the College.  As a student you received a copy of this report via email on October 1, 2012.  Statistically we’ve had: Forcible Sexual Assault in 2009 = 4; 2010 = 6; and, 2011 = 4.

Is sexual assault dealt with solely by the school, or is there outside judicial influence?
In cases of sexual misconduct, they are handled entirely by the College.  If the complainant wishes to file separate charges outside of Connecticut they may do so but this has no bearing on the College’s judicial process.

What are the basics of our sexual assault policy here at Conn?
Connecticut College’s position is that we do not tolerate sexual misconduct. Sexual assault is an intolerable crime, an act of aggressive and/or exploitive behavior. Where there is reason to believe that the safety and/or security of an individual has been breached, the College will pursue strong disciplinary action, which may include suspension or expulsion from the College. It may also include restricting the accused from College property and functions. This policy applies to all members of the College community: faculty, staff and students. For faculty and staff, sexual misconduct is included in the sexual harassment policies found in Information for Faculty and the Connecticut College Employee Handbook.  Violations of the Sexual Misconduct Policy will be addressed via the Dean’s Grievance Board when the person alleged to have committed this violation is a student.
Connecticut College defines “sexual misconduct” as any sexual contact or activity that occurs without the informed consent of any individual involved.  An individual accused of sexual misconduct does not avoid or mitigate responsibility because s/he was under the influence of alcohol or other drugs. Violations of the Sexual Misconduct Policy may be classified accordingly:

1. Sexual Assault
  2. Non-consensual Sexual Contact
  3. Sexual Harassment and Stalking
  4. Sexual Exploitation

Consent

According to Connecticut College policy, “consent” requires words and/or actions that demonstrate a voluntary agreement to engage in mutually agreed-upon sexual activity.  For consent:

·      Both partners must clearly communicate their willingness and permission.  Consent is not the absence of the word “no.”  Failure to resist sexual advances, silence, and/or prior relationship does not constitute consent.
·      Both partners need to be fully conscious and aware of their actions.  A person may be unable to give consent if they are asleep, drugged, injured, intoxicated or consumed alcohol, unconscious, a minor, mentally impaired or incapacitated.  Signs that a person is intoxicated, incapacitated, or otherwise unable to give consent include but are not limited to:  slurred speech, loss of coordination, passing out for any period of time, vomiting, and a verbalized feeling of being nauseous.
·      Both partners must be equally free to act.  The decision to be sexually intimate must be made without coercion (unreasonable pressure for sexual activity). Both partners have the right to revoke their consent at any time during sexual activity by actively (verbally or non-verbally) communicating their desire to stop the activity. A verbal “no” (no matter how indecisive) or resistance (no matter how passive) constitutes a lack of consent.

Definitions of Prohibited Conduct
Sexual Activity is defined as intentional contact with the breasts, buttock, groin, or genitals, or touching another with any of these body parts, or making another touch you or themselves with or on any of these body parts; any intentional bodily contact in a sexual manner, though not involving contact with/of/by breasts, buttocks, groin, genitals, mouth or other orifice.

1. Sexual Assault
Sexual Assault is defined as vaginal penetration by a penis, object, tongue or finger, anal penetration by a penis, object, tongue, or finger, and oral copulation (mouth to genital contact or genital to mouth contact), however slight, performed against the victim’s will and/or without consent.

2. Non-consensual Sexual Contact
Non-consensual sexual contact is any intentional sexual touching, however slight, with any body part or object, by a person without informed consent.

3. Sexual Harassment and Stalking
Connecticut College does not tolerate sexual harassment. The college will take appropriate disciplinary action against those found to have committed sexual harassment, up to and including dismissal. This policy applies to all members of the College community: faculty, staff and students.  Sexual harassment may involve women being harassed by men, men being harassed by women and harassment between persons of the same sex. “Sexual Harassment” includes any advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature when:
·      Submission to or rejection of such advances, requests, or conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of the provision of the benefits, privileges, or placement services or as a basis for the evaluation of academic achievement; or
·      Submission to or rejection of such conduct by an individual is used as the basis for academic or employment decisions affecting that individual; or
·      Such advances, requests, or conduct have the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual’s education by creating an intimidating, hostile, humiliating, or sexually offensive educational environment.

It is unlawful to retaliate against a student, employee, or any other person in the College for filing a complaint of sexual harassment or for cooperating in an investigation of sexual harassment. Any student, employee, or any other person in the College who is found to have engaged in sexual harassment is subject to discipline up to and including termination of employment or expulsion.

Some members of the College community hold positions of authority that may involve the legitimate exercise of power over others.  It is the responsibility of those individuals to use that power appropriately.  Faculty members and supervisors, in their relations with students and with subordinates, must be particularly aware that sexual motivations have the potential to cause conflicts of interest and the possible compromise of their evaluative objectivity.

When through fear of reprisal a student, staff member or faculty member submits, or is pressured to submit to unwanted sexual attention, the College’s ability to carry out its mission is undermined.  Sexual harassment is especially serious when it threatens relationships between faculty member and student or between supervisor and subordinate.  In such situations, sexual harassment exploits unfairly the power inherent in a faculty members, staff members, or supervisor’s position.  Through grades, wage increases, recommendations for graduate study, promotion and the like, a faculty member or supervisor can have a decisive influence on a student’s career at the College and beyond.

While sexual harassment most often takes place in situations of a power differential between the persons involved, the College also recognizes that sexual harassment may occur between persons of the same College status.  The College does not condone sexual harassment among members of the College community because it creates an unacceptable working and educational environment.

One form of sexual harassment is called “stalking.” A student who willfully and/or repeatedly follows or lies in wait for another person (this includes electronic media) and causes the person to reasonably fear for his/her safety is considered to have violated the stalking/harassment policy.

4. Sexual Exploitation
Sexual exploitation occurs when a person takes non-consensual or abusive sexual advantage of another to benefit or advantage anyone other than the one being exploited, and that behavior does not otherwise constitute sexual assault, sexual harassment, or non-consensual sexual contact.  Examples of sexual exploitation include, but are not limited to, prostitution, videotaping or audio-taping of sexual activity without the partner(s) consent, engaging in voyeurism, or knowingly transmitting sexually transmitted infections without the partner’s knowledge.

How would a student report a sexual assault? Who would they contact?
It is so important that students report sexual misconduct cases to the Office of the Dean of Student Life as soon as possible after the situation occurs.  The College reserves the right to take whatever measures it deems necessary in response to a charge of sexual misconduct in order to protect the rights and personal safety of the campus. Such measures include, but are not limited to, modification of living arrangements, summary removal from campus pending a hearing, restricting/prohibiting contact with person(s) on campus, reporting to the local police, and pursuing a campus judicial hearing without the participation of the victim. Not all forms of sexual misconduct will be deemed to be equally serious offenses, and the College reserves the right to impose differing sanctions, ranging from verbal warning to expulsion, depending on the severity of the offense. The College may consider the concerns and rights of both the Complainant and the person accused of sexual misconduct.

If a student has been sexually assaulted s/he can meet with Darcie Folsom, the College’s Sexual Assault and Advocacy Coordinator, and discuss their issues with her.  Since Darcie is a confidential report, the information will stay with her unless the student wishes to submit a formal complaint in the form of a Clery Report Form found on CamelWeb.  When formal complaints of sexual assault, sexual harassment, sexual exploitation, and non-consensual sexual contact, and assault in interpersonal relationships are received, the Dean of Student Life will assign (within three business days) to a trained staff member from the Office of Student Life the primary responsibility for the investigation of the complaint.  The staff member, hereafter referred to as the Case Administrator may partner with a trained Campus Safety Officer to conduct the investigation.  The role of the Case Administrator:

• Meet with the Complainant, Respondent, and witnesses
  • Collect written statements of complainant, respondent, and witnesses
  • Coordinate collection of any evidence
  • Submit a written report to the Dean of Student Life within ten business days of receiving the case referral.
  • May present the report to the hearing board

The Case Administrator may require the cooperation of any member(s) of the Connecticut College community in providing information with the exception of those engaged in a confidential relationship with the Respondent or Complainant.

What is the victim support network like here at Conn?
We have a Coordinated Community Response Team (CCRT) whose purpose is to ensure a comprehensive approach to improving access to services for victims as well as increasing the likelihood of reporting crimes both judicially and criminally.  Members of the CCRT meet on a monthly basis and include representatives from campus partners such as Counseling Services, Health Services, REAL, Deans of Student Life, Academic Deans, Student Wellness, Multicultural Affairs, Religious & Spiritual Life, etc. as well as off-campus community partners from the New London and Waterford Police Departments, the State’s Attorney’s Office, New London Court and the Sexual Assault Crisis Center of Eastern CT.  This means we have a very dedicated group of individuals working together to best meet the needs of the students

How are the perpetrators dealt with, both socially and academically? What consequences do they face?
The Dean’s Grievance Board adjudicates formal allegations of racial or sexual harassment, discrimination, sexual misconduct, bias incidents, or assault in interpersonal relationships for alleged violations by a student.   All cases referred to the Dean’s Grievance process will be handled as soon as is reasonably practical. Typically, after a complaint is filed with the Dean of Student Life, cases will be heard within a four week period (business days). If the College is not in session during part of that period or in instances where additional time may be required because of the complexity of the case or unavailability of parties or witnesses, the Dean may extend the time. If the period is extended, the Case Administrator, the Complainant and the Respondent will be informed. Given the particularly serious nature of these allegations, work, rehearsals, and intercollegiate athletic practices/games may not be considered an excuse for scheduling meetings with the Case Administrator or the hearing. With cases involving sexual misconduct sanctions of suspension or expulsion are only considered when the DG committee deliberates once the student is found responsible.  Depending upon the circumstances of an individual complaint, the College’s Policy on Felonies may apply.

How does Conn create and promote a community that is aware about sexual assault?
The Think S.A.F.E. Project at Connecticut College envisions a safe campus climate that is free of sexual assault, dating violence, and domestic violence and stalking. To that end, our mission is to partner with campus members and community agencies to foster individual and collective action to end sexual and relationship violence by:

(1) promoting a greater awareness and consciousness regarding sexual assault, relationship violence and stalking

(2) providing violence prevention education and intervention strategies to the campus community

(3) fostering a safe environment where survivors are empowered to access resources

(4) providing advocacy and support to survivors and their allies through a coordinated community response effort

Think S.A.F.E. is an intentional collaboration with faculty, staff, students and community partners to foster an environment that truly engages students to act with integrity, civility and the utmost respect for the dignity of all human beings, as inspired by the Connecticut College Honor Code.

We do this by providing trainings to staff, faculty and student leaders in addition to awareness events to engage the student body as a whole.  The biggest initiative from the office is Green Dot, a violence prevention strategy that encourages bystanders (everyone will be one at some point) to make a choice and then take action by doing something to prevent violence from happening in our community.  Built on the idea that in order to measurably reduce the instances of power-based personal violence there must be a culture shift, Green Dot capitalizes on peer and cultural influence to encourage change in behaviors from those that sustain violence in our community. To learn more about Green Dot, visit http://www.livethegreendot.com/.  When students matriculate, they pledge “that my actions will be thoughtful and ethical and that I will do my best to instill a sense of responsibility in those among us who falter.” Students are pledging to live the Green Dot already through our very own Honor Code — the training just gives students the skills to do it.  Since its implementation in Fall 2010, 251 students have gone through the 6-hour training.  Trainings are held roughly twice a semester.

What are some programs at Conn that educate students about sexual assault?
All incoming freshmen attend Navigating New Relationships during Orientation.  All Housefellows/Floor Governors, Student Advisors, ALANA Big Sibs and Peer Educators are trained on what resources are available to students. In addition, the Think SAFE Project does extensive programming during October and April, Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Awareness Months, respectively. We also do educational programs in the residence halls and classrooms and of course, Green Dot is promoted throughout the year with roughly two trainings per semester. In addition to the full-time Coordinator of Sexual Violence Education & Advocacy, there are three interns and ~25 SafetyNet Peer Educators that help plan and implement programs.

I am a junior and a Campus Correspondent for Connecticut College! I am majoring in American Studies and a PICA scholar. I was a High School Ambassador for HerCampus in 2010-2011 and a contibuting writer 2011-2012. I love writing, editing, and social media. This fall, I am a Student Coordinator for the Women's Center, a photographer for College Relations, and am also a member of SafetyNet. When I'm not writing, I love being outside and enjoy many many different types of music. I also enjoy shopping at the Container Store, sharpie markers, thunderstorms, onesies, Gilmore Girls, The Newsroom, New Girl, 60 Minutes, and The West Wing.