COCOWOSO Makes the NCAA Tournament

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

On November 9th, 2014, The Connecticut College Women’s Soccer team won the first NESCAC championship in Camel history. 

In their 2013 season, the Conn Coll Women’s Soccer team won a mere three games. Thus, their recent success as NESCAC champions came as a very pleasant surprise, even to the players! Co-captain Astrid Kempainen said, “I wish I could say that I expected this to happen at the beginning of the season, but I did not. I knew we were going to be extremely successful…but I did not predict winning NESCACs and getting an automatic bid [to the NCAA tournament].”

So, what has changed since last season? Kempainen explained, “I would have to say the biggest change has been our attitude. We constantly talk about ‘buying in’ and putting the team first.” She further noted the team’s successful dynamic. The new freshmen were gracefully integrated into the team, adding “immense talent and personality.” Kempainen additionally explained that, “While our talent is not exponentially better than it was last year, the culture has changed into a winning culture and into a culture of playing hard and with heart. Our coach and the rest of the coaching staff have had a huge role in instilling us with this winning belief.”

Sophomore teammates (not to mention twins!) Cathy and Annie Higgins agreed with Kempainen’s opinion on the improved attitude of the team. Cathy stated, “We click on and off the field.” Annie said, “This year, our team’s outlook on the season is to stay positive, work together, and play for each other… our coaches also believed in us and taught us to believe in ourselves as a winning team, which helped our mentality when it came to every game.” She also mentioned the team’s new goalie, Bryanna Montalvo (sophomore transfer), who was the first to receive the honor of player-of-the-week twice in one season at Conn.

On Saturday, November 15th, they won their first game of the tournament against Swarthmore (held at Monclair State University). Unfortunately, they lost the following day to Montclair State in double-overtime. Nonetheless, the team has made a lasting (and historic) impression this season. For more about COCOWOSO check out their website!

Danielle Kaplan is a senior from from Westwood, MA, studying economics and dance at Connecticut College. She is the in-house designer and Instagram contributor for Her Campus Conn Coll. In addition to Her Campus, Danielle spends most of her time rehearsing for several on-campus dance performances. Following graduation, she hopes to work for a non-profit organization related to incarceration and/or at-risk youth. But most of all, Danielle's true passions lie in avocados, dark chocolate, and cereal.
Her Campus Conn Coll