Candy Inspired Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Halloween is over but if you’re like me then having new treats around is always a good idea.  With the holidays approaching, I thought it would be fun to compile a list of some dessert recipes that were inspired from Halloween candy.  Each are easy to make, and if you don’t want to wait until you go home for Thanksgiving break, the kitchen in Lazrus House is always available!

Homemade Twix Bars
I am a HUGE fan of the blog Cupcakes and Cashmere, so naturally, anything that Emily recommends is genius.  In one of her posts she featured a recipe for Home-made Twix bars.  I actually tried this one out with my friends and it is amazing.  The fresh caramel and chocolate are so much better than the packaged deal.  To make your own, click here.

Rice Krispies with Candy Corn
I actually got this idea from Harris, who made this treat last week.  Although I was unsure at first, the rice Krispies were tasty with the candy corn, as long as it wasn’t overwhelming.  If you are craving Rice Krispies, get the recipe here.  Just add in the candy corn.  If you want to try something else, think about adding M&M’s or Reeses Pieces!

Homemade Reeses Cups
I haven’t actually tried making these yet, but it is on my to-do list once I arrive home for Thanksgiving break.  I can only imagine how much better homemade Reeses would be than the store bought version and they would be a great holiday gift.  For the recipe, go here.

Caramel Popcorn
Did you like Cracker Jacks growing up?  Martha Stewart has a great recipe for a homemade, more flavorful version that my mom is obsessed with.  Her caramel popcorn is great by itself but also works well with trail mix, or with M&M’s and chocolate!

Katherine is a senior at Connecticut College majoring in European history and minoring in film studies. She spent her last semester abroad in Rome and loved it, and then interned this summer at Marie Claire magazine in New York City. Katherine is very excited to be joining the Her Campus team!