Campus Cutie: Christine Yi

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Cutie, Christine Yi! Originally from Chengdu, China, which also happens to be home to the Giant Panda, this sweet, bubbly, down-to-earth math major loves all different types of food and loves sharing her passion for math with others. Read on to find out what the most interesting food she has ever eaten is and why she decided to become a math major!

Class Year: 2017

Hometown: Chengdu, China 

Major: Mathematics

Minor: Computer Science

Extracurricular activities: Association for Women in Math, Women in Tech, Ice Skating, Active Minds

Favorite place on campus: New London Hall

Favorite movies: American SniperTed

What is your favorite food? Tacos, mozz sticks, Chinese food. I can’t choose one. I love all yummy food!

Do you have a favorite class or professor taken at Conn? Matthew Willis — He’s amazing, super nice, and a helpful professor.

Spirit animal: Dolphins, they are so cute :)

Who is your celeb crush? Vin Diesel. I’ve liked him since the movie Fast and Furious came out. 

Many people seem to be intimidated by math and couldn’t imagine majoring in it. What made you to become a math major? What do you enjoy most about being a math major?

I was very bad at math in middle school. It wasn’t until high school that I started to like math. I think it was my high school math teacher who made me like it.  He was very passionate and intelligent about math and his spirit inspired me. I was first thinking about majoring in economics before I came to Conn, but after I took classes with Professor Willis and Professor Kohli in my freshman year, I decided to major in math because I thought it was more fun after I met these two professors. So, to me, a good professor can make any subject that seems boring, interesting.  I’m very happy about being a math major. I was an individual math tutor at the Academic Resource Center before, and I love helping others solve Math problems. I want to be a math teacher or maybe a professor in the future to inspire more students to study math just like my high school teacher and my professors did.

What is the most interesting food you’ve ever eaten?

The most interesting food I’ve ever eaten was a piece of live octopus. I could still feel it moving when it was in my mouth. It sounds a little bit crazy. I probably wouldn’t try it another time. 

How do you feel about being Campus Cutie? 

I’m very happy to be nominated, and it’s very cool haha.

Hallie is a Junior who enjoys writing for Conn Coll’s Her Campus chapter! Not only does she love the fact that she shares the same initials as Her Campus (HCXO!), but she loves being part of the Her Campus Conn Coll community, as well as having the opportunity of integrating her passion for photography, journalism, and pop culture throughout her posts. She is currently on the executive board of Her Campus Conn Coll and manages the twitter account.
Her Campus Conn Coll