Campus Celebs: Casey, Rabbitt, & Aly

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Class Year: Seniors

Hometown:

A: Boulder, Colorado

R: Rehoboth, Ma

C: Los Angeles, California

Major:

A: Environmental Studies and Economics

R: Environmental Studies

C: Behavioral Neuroscience

Minor:

A: Goodwin-Nieiring Center for the Environment

R: Economics, and GNCE too

C: Sociology

Favorite color:

A:PURPLE

R: blue!

C: Orange

Spirit animal:

A: I am more into spirit plants, which is a Ponderosa Pine

R: I’d have to say Tom Gaynor, aka Allday, aka the angstiest Aussie rapper around.

C: Spinosaurus, the largest of the carnivorous dinosaurs

Personal Motto:

R: “Drink spirits and spirulina in even portions”- Allday and “Ur vibe attracts ur tribe”- my farmer friend Sean.

A: “Today was the best day ever, tomorrow will be even better”

-Barbara Scarmuzzi, My Grandma

C: Not being shitty is always an option- Me

Extracurricular activities:

RAC: We’ve all work grounds with good ole’ Jim Luce, performed in eclipse, and got to do WE Initiative for the first time this year (which was awesome). We were also all Green Dot trained- it’s, 10/10 everyone should do it. We do sometimes hang out with other people, when we do Olivia does a bit o’ baking at the Walk-In cof cloz, Aly plays volleyball, and Casey is an on campus EMT.

Tell us about Hoop Jam:

Hoop Jam: Casey: Ya! We started hooping about a year ago after a magical experience in the arbo. Ever since then it’s been like a cool meditation/ opportunity to dance around. Learning new tricks is really fun and you always get to meet new people who want to try to hoop or who can teach you a trick or two. The world is going to keep spinning baby so you might as well too. Come jam. Don’t make it weird.

Rabbs: Tbh I’d never even hooped before last year. Then I randomly stumbled into a hoop jam in Hawaii (think beachfront acro yoga, drum circle, hula hoop heaven) – and had to bring the experience back to Conn. Hooping is an incredible form of moving meditation, and an expression of self-love, self- celebration, and self-acceptance — everyone should try it! Hoop jam is a wonderful space to share that positive energy (and some tricks) with everyone around you, so yeah, COME JAM!

ALY: My roommates started hooping and it seemed chill. Hoop jam is a very welcoming space and you can make whatever movement you are feeling is your own. I usually poi (weird spinning balls) or jump rope.  Any movement you want to manifest can be a jam. Seek out your movement and make it your own.

Post Grad Plans?:

Casey: After graduation we’re planning on moving to Costa Rica with the ever lovely and oh so talented Emma Rotner. At first it was just a dream of like “wouldn’t it be so cool if we could just graduate and hang out with our lady crew on beaches and in forests all day.” (Which honestly has been my favorite part of college anyway). And then one day we just realized, wait, why can’t we do that? We should do that.

Rabbs: So then we just did it. We’d played around with the idea for so long as a pipe dream, that when we finally bought our one-way tickets before spring break it felt so surreal. So yea, we’ll be spending the next however long working on our Spanish, doing some permaculture, and maybe some rafting and hooping in a beautiful place. And then who knows? Maybe Hawaii, maybe New Zealand….

Aly: When people ask me why I’ve decided to shirk all major adult post-grad responsibilities (loans, work, health insurance), my answer is fairly simple: you’re only crazy enough to get drunk off Jameson in the kitchen of ridge 3 and buy one way tickets to another country once, and it’s when you’re 22.

Casey: On a completely unrelated note, if you have any Costa Rica connections or job opportunities…. Hit a girl up.

Anything else you’d like to share:

We would like to take a second to shout out the 20 odd family members we’ve gained while at Conn. You are the double sided sticky tape that holds us all together. Thank you all for being the weirdest humans beings.

We lovingly call our group of friends the island of misfit toys and just as the song (should) say… “If we’re all on the island of misfit toys it’s the most wonderful wonderful day of the year.” Thanks for the most wonderful wonderful four years.

A note of advice for underclassmen is to take care of your friends. That will get you much further than really anything else.

Ari F

Conn Coll '16

N/A