This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Conn Coll chapter.

Check out this week’s Campus Celeb, Meg Robbins! Between her involvements with the dance department, PICA, among other things, Meg has kept herself busy for her senior year. Keep reading to learn more about her study abroad experience, CELS funded internship, go-to Harris creation, and celebrity crush! 

Class Year: 2015

Hometown: Fallston, MD

Major: Environmental Studies and Dance

Academic Center: PICA

Campus Involvement:  Dance Club, OVCS, and Admissions Fellow

Celeb Crush:  Paul Rudd, ever since he was Mike on Friends

Favorite class or professor at Conn:  Global Perspectives on Environmental Justice with Professor Dawson

Favorite place on campus:  The sundial

Spirit animal:  Sea horse

Favorite cuisine:  Anything with pasta

Favorite item in your closet:  A big knit scarf

Go-to Harris creation:  Always omelets or paninis

Tell us about your involvement with PICA! How did you get involved? What is your senior project on?

I actually came to Conn wanting to apply to PICA because it seemed like a great way to become involved in the New London community while addressing issues of social and structural change, and it lived up to all of these expectations!  We actually just had our PICA Conference last weekend, and I was so impressed by all of the work of my classmates over the past 3 years in the Center.  My Senior Integrative Project was examining the injustices facing indigenous land rights through the lens of the Mashantucket Pequot, under the advising of Professor Lizarralde.

How was your experience abroad last year?

It was amazing!  I studied abroad last fall with SFS through their Wildlife Management program in Kenya and Tanzania, which was unlike any experience I’d ever had.  We had class on safari, learned how to cook traditional dishes like mandazi and chipati, played so much soccer with our professors and neighbors, and often fought with baboons for our books.  I’d go back in a heart beat!

What did you do for your CELS funded internship last summer?

Last summer, I moved to New York to intern for WE ACT for Environmental Justice, a non-profit based out of Harlem.  I learned so much about the power of community action to affect changes in policies…If anyone is looking for an awesome place to intern over the summer to support a community actively demanding environmental rights, check out WE ACT!

We heard you have a thesis dance concert coming up. Give us a sneak peak!

Trees, waves, walls, runways, boots, Barbie’s, spaces, live music and a painting.  Come see all of this and more this weekend, April 16th, 17th, and 18th in Palmer, you don’t want to miss it!!

As a graduating senior, what advice would you give to underclassmen?

Spend time with your friends, explore New London, take advantage of the Arbo and Mamacoke, get coffee with a favorite professor, go on a non-traditional study abroad, find new ways to get involved on campus, and constantly meet new people.

What are your post-graduation plans, if any?

Traveling the world, dancing, and continuing to try to understand the perfect coffee ground to water ratio.

How do you feel about being Campus Celebrity?

Honored and blessed, thanks to all those who got me here.

Danielle Kaplan is a senior from from Westwood, MA, studying economics and dance at Connecticut College. She is the in-house designer and Instagram contributor for Her Campus Conn Coll. In addition to Her Campus, Danielle spends most of her time rehearsing for several on-campus dance performances. Following graduation, she hopes to work for a non-profit organization related to incarceration and/or at-risk youth. But most of all, Danielle's true passions lie in avocados, dark chocolate, and cereal.
Her Campus Conn Coll